Le Soleil Royal ZHL Build Log [COMPLETED BUILD]

Now I'm trying to determine how I'll do the halyards. The instructions show the use of jeers, or blocks that are on the yard and mast/trestle tree yard. The lines lead to belaying pins below. The picture on the right reflects that method of doing the halyard. The left picture shows the lines "tied" without blocks or jeers and looped over the masthead cap. Then the lines go down to a large block. A line goes through the block and sheaves in the knight. Apparently, the real Soleil Royal used the knight for the halyard of the lower yard. Andrey @Mr.Deep showed his SR using this method earlier in my build log. Anyone have any experience doing it this way?
View attachment 308977
Good morning Vic- I will leave this to Mr Deep and other experts- I see you are entering the world of entanglement...;). going to be fun. Cheers Grant

Now I'm trying to determine how I'll do the halyards. The instructions show the use of jeers, or blocks that are on the yard and mast/trestle tree yard. The lines lead to belaying pins below. The picture on the right reflects that method of doing the halyard. The left picture shows the lines "tied" without blocks or jeers and looped over the masthead cap. Then the lines go down to a large block. A line goes through the block and sheaves in the knight. Apparently, the real Soleil Royal used the knight for the halyard of the lower yard. Andrey @Mr.Deep showed his SR using this method earlier in my build log. Anyone have any experience doing it this way?
View attachment 308977
I am not certain I have an opinion on what was used in reality on this particular ship, but due to the weight of the lower yards of the fore and main mast, I will speculate that the mechanical advantage of the method shown by @Mr.Deep would be needed to raise and lower these large pieces of timber.

That's so CUTE, Vic!!! ROTF Actually, it looks very good. You get faster at them the more you make, and rigging gets easier with practice. Keep up the good work! Is there sufficient tension in the shroud? You got the direction of the line crossover at the top of the deadeye correctly matched to the lay of the line (left handed / cable laid). That's something a lot of us get incorrect. Thumbsup

1653002197097.png

Last edited:
Hey Vic,
I made some of my shrouds too loose and it made ratlining much more difficult. Be sure to check the tension of the shroud and then do one on the other side of the ship equally tight and then check to make sure your mast is still centered. Or maybe you know all this from your earlier builds...

Hey Vic,
I made some of my shrouds too loose and it made ratlining much more difficult. Be sure to check the tension of the shroud and then do one on the other side of the ship equally tight and then check to make sure your mast is still centered. Or maybe you know all this from your earlier builds...
It's a little loose. I'll probably redo it. That's why I left some extra shroud line.

That's so CUTE, Vic!!! ROTF Actually, it looks very good. You get faster at them the more you make, and rigging gets easier with practice. Keep up the good work! Is there sufficient tension in the shroud? You got the direction of the line crossover at the top of the deadeye correctly matched to the lay of the line (left handed / cable laid). That's something a lot of us get incorrect. Thumbsup

View attachment 309284
Accidents happen!

Hey Vic,
Apparently it doesn’t matter how many builds I make. My nickname is Permanewb!

Everyone is praising you again, but I want to fry you.Firstly, somehow everything is clumsy.Now to the point.Lanyards are very light.I will advise you to replace it with dark threads.So on, the shrouds need to be pulled in pairs.A pair from the left side, a pair from the right side.and you pulled the lanyards yourself in vain and secured them right away.Put all the shrouds first, with the lanyards inserted.Then it will be easier to align the upper ufers in one line.And you start to fit one by one.From each side.This makes it easier to control the vertical of the mast.So that it does not fall in with you either to the left or to the right.Good luck in stretching the rigging.

My first lanyard. Don’t laugh!View attachment 309283
Good morning Vic- nice! I did all my Lanyards for the mast and did not tie them off. This helped me tension each one correctly as I found as I did one the other tension changes so and on so forth. Boy I’m glad @Mr.Deep Isnt looking at my Victory ROTF -I would be in the headmasters office dailyROTF. Seriously tho his advice and knowledge is invaluable. Cheers Grant

Good morning Vic- nice! I did all my Lanyards for the mast and did not tie them off. This helped me tension each one correctly as I found as I did one the other tension changes so and on so forth. Boy I’m glad @Mr.Deep Isnt looking at my Victory ROTF -I would be in the headmasters office dailyROTF. Seriously tho his advice and knowledge is invaluable. Cheers Grant
That’s why I invite his comments. He has been very helpful.

Back