Le Soleil Royal ZHL Build Log [COMPLETED BUILD]

Everyone is praising you again, but I want to fry you.Firstly, somehow everything is clumsy.Now to the point.Lanyards are very light.I will advise you to replace it with dark threads.So on, the shrouds need to be pulled in pairs.A pair from the left side, a pair from the right side.and you pulled the lanyards yourself in vain and secured them right away.Put all the shrouds first, with the lanyards inserted.Then it will be easier to align the upper ufers in one line.And you start to fit one by one.From each side.This makes it easier to control the vertical of the mast.So that it does not fall in with you either to the left or to the right.Good luck in stretching the rigging.
Thanks, Andrey! I will probably need the good luck. I will try your method henceforth. I don’t like the polyester lines for lanyards. They seem not to lie right. No matter how tight I pull them, are rounded.

Thanks, Andrey! I will probably need the good luck. I will try your method henceforth. I don’t like the polyester lines for lanyards. They seem not to lie right. No matter how tight I pull them, are rounded.
If you take a small drill bit and gouge out the holes in the deadeyes like a real deadeye as shown below, the lay of the line will be improved. Of course, that means a LOT more work for you, since there are so many deadeyes! The other option is to use line which is not as stiff.

1653061708531.png

There’s only about a hundred of them.
I would do a trial before you commit to 100. It may very well help, but as you have noted - polyester line doesn't behave like cotton line. Having experimented with both I actually prefer the poly. It doesn't 'bend' as nicely as cotton does around edges - but it likes to be straight even when its a bit loose which I have found to be an asset. I also like the absence of fuzz but that's more of a personal preference than anything else.

Everyone is praising you again, but I want to fry you.Firstly, somehow everything is clumsy.Now to the point.Lanyards are very light.I will advise you to replace it with dark threads.So on, the shrouds need to be pulled in pairs.A pair from the left side, a pair from the right side.and you pulled the lanyards yourself in vain and secured them right away.Put all the shrouds first, with the lanyards inserted.Then it will be easier to align the upper ufers in one line.And you start to fit one by one.From each side.This makes it easier to control the vertical of the mast.So that it does not fall in with you either to the left or to the right.Good luck in stretching the rigging.
While I might not have said it the same way, I do agree with MrDeep for the most part.

As for left and right laid cable/rope, I have a hard time convincing myself that it really matters on this scale ship. What I will say is that the short end of the shroud should be tied so that it is on the side of the shroud toward the bow. That means remembering to tie the port and starboard sides differently. I looked back at my Black Pearl and realized the I did it wrong on 3 of the 12 sets of deadeyes that I put on the model. I guess being correct 3/4 of the time is a start.

I would do a trial before you commit to 100. It may very well help, but as you have noted - polyester line doesn't behave like cotton line. Having experimented with both I actually prefer the poly. It doesn't 'bend' as nicely as cotton does around edges - but it likes to be straight even when its a bit loose which I have found to be an asset. I also like the absence of fuzz but that's more of a personal preference than anything else.
I used regular heavy thread, a cotton blend. Not so fuzzy. Just picked some up at the fabric store in the desired color. It doesn't have the 3-D texture of home-made twisted line, but at this scale, it doesn't make much difference.

While I might not have said it the same way, I do agree with MrDeep for the most part.

As for left and right laid cable/rope, I have a hard time convincing myself that it really matters on this scale ship. What I will say is that the short end of the shroud should be tied so that it is on the side of the shroud toward the bow. That means remembering to tie the port and starboard sides differently. I looked back at my Black Pearl and realized the I did it wrong on 3 of the 12 sets of deadeyes that I put on the model. I guess being correct 3/4 of the time is a start.
"That means remembering to tie the port and starboard sides differently. "
And THAT is the thing most people forget. Flipping the side that the bitter end of the shroud is lashed to is not hard as long as your remember to do the first few ones on whatever side of the ship the same way, so your brain settles into the routine of rigging it the correct way. If you forget, you can look at the ones you did previously to remind you.

Yeah, I remembered to put the short end on the bow side, and it will get tensioned sufficiently in the end. I tried my third lanyard using black rope. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get the length of the lanyard right and still get it properly tensioned. So I tore them all out and started over. Admiralty style is looking better all the time!

Yeah, I remembered to put the short end on the bow side, and it will get tensioned sufficiently in the end. I tried my third lanyard using black rope. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get the length of the lanyard right and still get it properly tensioned. So I tore them all out and started over. Admiralty style is looking better all the time!
Take a look at my La Couronne build log HERE and see if I was smart enough to detail the method I used to tension and space the shrouds and deadeyes. Something there may help you. I remember tensioning the shroud first and seizing it around the upper deadeye, while using a jig that links the upper and lower deadeyes temporarily. Once the tension is set, the jig is removed and then the lanyard ran through the deadeyes, and the distance between deadeyes is set and the lanyard tied off and the bitter end seized.

Well.Already much better.I am very stressed by your red outboard ladder.Don't turn a warship into a fair.Less bright, inappropriate colors.And another question, will you carry out the mast-hoists?And one more thing, there should be three small deadyey on the riverbed.Two shrouds go to the foremast, one to the topmast.

soleil-royal-heller-11.jpg

Well.Already much better.I am very stressed by your red outboard ladder.Don't turn a warship into a fair.Less bright, inappropriate colors.And another question, will you carry out the mast-hoists?And one more thing, there should be three small deadyey on the riverbed.Two shrouds go to the foremast, one to the topmast.

View attachment 310085
Look at the bling on this ship, Mr.Deep! And you say it is not a fair? It is, in fact, very showy. And my daughter will love the red. I am curious, what are mast hoists? And where are they located? Are they shown in the Heller plan? I see there are many differences between the Heller and the ZHL models. Are the mast hoists at Number 12 on the right side of the Heller plan? ZHL does not have them. Also, ZHL only has two small deadeyes for stays on the foremast and three for the main mast. The Heller plans are much more detailed than the ZHL. And what are 37D and E supposed to represent? Thank you for the post. You force me to learn more each time.

Do you like these wooldings any better, Sasha @Alexander74? They are more like this in the Heller model. In ZHL, they are inside the strakes. View attachment 310191
Vic, good afternoon. So it looks more like the truth. I don’t know how it is shown on your diagram, but the side fittings (yellow arrow) should be shorter than the front one (red arrow). It's called the front of the fish. It goes from Mars almost to the deck. Woolings start from chicks (marked around).
image.jpg
Here is what I found on the Internet
1228_2_hlr80899_15.jpg

Back