Le Soleil Royal ZHL Build Log [COMPLETED BUILD]

Vic, good afternoon. So it looks more like the truth. I don’t know how it is shown on your diagram, but the side fittings (yellow arrow) should be shorter than the front one (red arrow). It's called the front of the fish. It goes from Mars almost to the deck. Woolings start from chicks (marked around).
View attachment 310216
Here is what I found on the Internet
View attachment 310217
My ZHL model is different in that regard. I see your diagram is truly quite different. It would be nice to know which is correct I think I can live with it though. I do appreciate your willingness to help me and encourage me to do better. It helps make me a better model builder. I wish I had access to other plans to help guide me in my decisions. But sometimes the load of information seems a bit overwhelming. One step at a time, Sasha. I’ve just built the main mast and I am getting ready to install it. Wish me luck. It doesn’t fit as tightly in the holes as the foremast and mizzenmast do. Tension on the shrouds will be even more important.

The next question arises: My instructions show that the yards have an octagonal section in the middle of the yardarms. R. C. Anderson says that French ships' yards were all round. Looking at the Heller plan and Andrey's (@Mr.Deep) yards, they are all round. The octagonal parts look cool, but they don't seem to ring true.

The next question arises: My instructions show that the yards have an octagonal section in the middle of the yardarms. R. C. Anderson says that French ships' yards were all round. Looking at the Heller plan and Andrey's (@Mr.Deep) yards, they are all round. The octagonal parts look cool, but they don't seem to ring true.
Good morning Vic. I so happy I don’t sit alone with these interpretations. I’m using 3 kit instructions and all so different. And then the guys in the know Sasha, Mr Deep, Frank...the list goes on will advise what it should be and the kits are way out so many times. Even the research materials and manuscripts differ as @Heinrich brilliant research has shown- We have to love this hobby. It is so interesting. You are doing an awesome job on your Le Soleil Vic. Cheers Grant

Well, here you are lying.My yards also have an octagonal profile in the middle.They just probably didn't see it.And then I polished them a little.Therefore, there is no sharp edge of the octagon.As for the clamps in the middle, I made split ones.It's easier to start the lights of the halyards here.

IMG_2062.JPG

IMG_2109.JPG

IMG_2252.JPG

is there to give testimony of the central area its compliance, if it bothers you I take it off, and excuse me
Nothing, I don't blame you for something.So much is still unknown, unexplored in the history of shipbuilding.Sometimes several different sources of information contradict each other.Marquardt writes that the French generally had completely round yards.You look at modern monographs, and there the yards have an octagonal thickening.Even in the monograph of Belle Poule, the knocks of the yards have an octahedron.

Plano La Belle Ppoule_17_03.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing, I don't blame you for something.So much is still unknown, unexplored in the history of shipbuilding.Sometimes several different sources of information contradict each other.Marquardt writes that the French generally had completely round yards.You look at modern monographs, and there the yards have an octagonal thickening.Even in the monograph of Belle Poule, the knocks of the yards have an octahedron.

View attachment 310504
it is I who do not blame you, I finish it here, we have nothing to say to each other, with a lot of respect

Well, here you are lying.My yards also have an octagonal profile in the middle.They just probably didn't see it.And then I polished them a little.Therefore, there is no sharp edge of the octagon.As for the clamps in the middle, I made split ones.It's easier to start the lights of the halyards here.

View attachment 310498

View attachment 310499

View attachment 310500
I thought I could get you to respond, Andrey! Although I don't particularly like being called a liar, I obviously mistakenly stated your yards were round in the middle. Absolutely lovely photos. Yours is a magnificent ship. I notice you do not have rigging for the stun sails. Did you use the Heller plans? Yours was a ZHL ship, correct?

Good morning Vic. I so happy I don’t sit alone with these interpretations. I’m using 3 kit instructions and all so different. And then the guys in the know Sasha, Mr Deep, Frank...the list goes on will advise what it should be and the kits are way out so many times. Even the research materials and manuscripts differ as @Heinrich brilliant research has shown- We have to love this hobby. It is so interesting. You are doing an awesome job on your Le Soleil Vic. Cheers Grant
Thank you for the encouragement, Grant. It means a lot.

She is a very impressive ship in the making - well done! Thumbsup

Back