Le Soleil Royal ZHL Build Log [COMPLETED BUILD]

Port gun covers done! Nearing the finish line!View attachment 324042
Vic,
One thing I discovered reading several documents is that the first gun port at the front of the lower row should not be armed with a permanent cannon.
It is called in French the "sabord de chasse" and is used only when the ship is chasing another vessel. It is then armed with a special cannon.

Vic,
One thing I discovered reading several documents is that the first gun port at the front of the lower row should not be armed with a permanent cannon.
It is called in French the "sabord de chasse" and is used only when the ship is chasing another vessel. It is then armed with a special cannon.
I guess I should have left it closed! It would have saved me 10 minutes of work. Thanks for letting me know. It’s too late to change now, though. It will have to join the 100s of other historical inaccuracies I’ve committed on this beautiful ship.

Vic,
Many paintings make the mistake of arming the forward-most ports, including Payne’s engraving of HMS Sovereign of the Seas. Guns in those fore ports interfere with the anchor handling gear. And all ships have to have their fore ports empty of guns.

Wow Vic. That is some super-serious commitment. The SR looks lovely - I cannot wait to see the final pics.

Good morning Vic. Outstanding achievement (sounds like a school certificate ROTF ) - seriously tho excellent. Cheers Grant
It does kind of sound like that, doesn’t it? Heading back to Texas without her. Feeling torn between free at last and lost. Have to edit pictures before sending them. Ugh. I hate that part.

Back