Le Soleil Royal ZHL Build Log [COMPLETED BUILD]

I love to hear family stories like that. They renew my beliefs! Thanks for sharing.
You’re welcome to view this noob’s current build log if you wish. Just click on the Constitution below my signature. I think I’ve made some progress. I’ve thought about tearing out some of my mistakes, but family and friends have advised to leave them as a testimony to my progress. We’ll see.

Looking forward to your build @Vfordyce, whichever one you decide to do first. I am sure it will be beautiful for it will be made with lots of love.
My ZHL Black Pearl looks different from yours, Reggie. It calls fo a cutout on the starboard side so you can see inside. Also, the top part of the masts seem to be missing.

You must have gotten the ZHL All Scenario version of the Black Pearl.... That is such a beautiful model, especially when all lit up. Have fun @Vfordyce .
That is what I got. It is interesting, but I wish it had full mast. I think I would have shredded the sails. What did you do with your brass ornaments? Did you try to “weather” them at all?

The Ensign (my daughter) just directed me to divert my attention to the Black Pearl. She wants to give it to her best friend for Christmas. I’m just a seaman worst class so I’d better obey. New log coming up.
I will be watching for your build. Now that it’s your second build you can use all your stored up knowledge for a great looking ship. Christmas would be really ambitious. Did she say what year?

I will be watching for your build. Now that it’s your second build you can use all your stored up knowledge for a great looking ship. Christmas would be really ambitious. Did she say what year?
If I start on it in two weeks, maybe this year. Hopefully I won't have to work too much at my retirement job (pays for the new car). And knowledge doesn't necessarily equate to skill.

That is what I got. It is interesting, but I wish it had full mast. I think I would have shredded the sails. What did you do with your brass ornaments? Did you try to “weather” them at all?
@Vfordyce ...I simply painted my ornaments with gold acrilyc. But there were other more experienced builders of the Pearl who did a great job weathering not only the ornaments but the entire ship. Have fun.

I am happy that you started this building log - a good start - I will follow your log with big interest

Looks like you are a ZHL fan.
I just ordered from them and am awaiting shipping.
I looked at some of the same ships you have and it was a tough decision to buy just one.
Le Soleil Royal
ZHL Black Pearl
HMS Bellona

In the end I wanted something that challenged me from my current build. Which they all did!

I like the 1/48 scale so Le Soleil Royal with 1/90 was dropped.
The HMS Bellona is huge and expensive, save that for another day.

In the end I went with a 3 mast ship from 2 mast, a 2 deck ship from 1 deck, more bling, and adding lights sealed the deal for me.
Probably not hard to figure out which one I bought.

I will be following along with great interest.

Last edited:
Looks like you are a ZHL fan.
I just ordered from them and am awaiting shipping.
I looked at some of the same ships you have and it was a tough decision to buy just one.
Le Soleil Royal
ZHL Black Pearl
HMS Bellona

In the end I wanted something that challenged me from my current build. Which they all did!

I like the 1/48 scale so Le Soleil Royal with 1/90 was dropped.
The HMS Bellona is huge and expensive, save that for another day.

In the end I went with a 3 mast ship from 2 mast, a 2 deck ship from 1 deck, more bling, and adding lights sealed the deal for me.
Probably not hard to figure out which one I bought.

I will be following along with great interest.
The lights are kicking my rear. Sooooo small. And the soldering is therefore so laborious and difficult. Now I’ve come to a screeching halt. I think if I could get leds with Leads already attached, that would speed things up exponentially.

I think the 1:90 scale isn’t quite accurate if the sizes of the deadeyes are any inn. They appear to be over twice the size of those on my 1:00 Constitution by Billing Boats. I really wouldn’t suggest that I have a preference for ZHL. I’m sure each maker has its pros and cons. I was looking for a ship with lots of bling for my daughter and the Soleil Royal caught my attention. Someone suggested ZHL and they thought it was a fairly easy build and had color pictures. And all the cool stuff on their Black Pearl grabbed me for my daughter’s best friend. That’s why I chose ZHL. So far, I’m not regretting my decision.

Back