Le Soleil Royal ZHL Build Log [COMPLETED BUILD]

Read the instructions carefully...I am working on same and some one else said before the instructions are not correct? Although....I had plenty of second planking so it didn't mater. I also planked P1 then the .5mm.
What instructions? I couldn’t find any for the aft section below. I saw @paulb did it this way.

Maybe not this time, Mr.Deep. But I will try to make the carriages more French looking before I’m done. I used the head of a pin on a triangular scrap of wood to make a quoin. I also inserted pins in the axles to hold on wheels. I will add capsquares, I will thread the recoil ropes through the cheeks of the carriages, and I will place eyebolts and rigging in the proper places. This carriage will go under the deck. I am using it for a testbed. D7336BB2-AFB4-4609-A287-65D619C0DD52.jpeg

I found a new method of serving online at model ship building for dummies. I wrap some thread around a bit that is thicker than the rope I will wrap. I put some white glue on it and cut the loose ends. I slide it off the bit. Slip it on the rope. Hook the rope through the eyebolt and slide the wrapping over the end. Cut off the excess rope and spend half the time making sheathes. B472153F-56BE-40CD-95D9-B5B4EB4B6811.jpeg9AD05AD1-612F-4EDE-AEFB-F1CC62A402D7.jpeg7C09491C-DF04-4F8F-8B38-287F3BEA19C1.jpegAC6819C9-6406-469D-A508-732F82CC7090.jpeg2585FBE4-0CD4-4871-9F4A-0D58157D7C46.jpegCEFE16A9-2666-482A-A744-3F9BA4A64BEA.jpeg

I found a new method of serving online at model ship building for dummies. I wrap some thread around a bit that is thicker than the rope I will wrap. I put some white glue on it and cut the loose ends. I slide it off the bit. Slip it on the rope. Hook the rope through the eyebolt and slide the wrapping over the end. Cut off the excess rope and spend half the time making sheathes. View attachment 256248View attachment 256249View attachment 256250View attachment 256251View attachment 256252View attachment 256253
Vic, an interesting method. But it doesn't look too tight. The meaning of this knot is to tighten the ends tighter so that they do not untie at the most unnecessary moment.

The front trucks (wheels) look a bit small when I compare them to pictures of Continental style carriages. So I fastened a dowel in my new Proxxon mini vise, drilled a hole into the dowel for the axle to go into, and cut off a slice to make a slightly bigger wheel. I know my methods are crude, but I use what I have available, including lack of patience and abilities DB0803D6-9541-4E1A-A0A2-5C419ED485B2.jpegAA308207-B891-41AC-A523-DAED27F91E53.jpegE5F6AA93-F33E-4BD4-A1C8-CBA4544BC531.jpeg

Read the instructions carefully...I am working on same and some one else said before the instructions are not correct? Although....I had plenty of second planking so it didn't mater. I also planked P1 then the .5mm.
Hi VFic
I did the same as Inge: first P1 and then P3

The front trucks (wheels) look a bit small when I compare them to pictures of Continental style carriages. So I fastened a dowel in my new Proxxon mini vise, drilled a hole into the dowel for the axle to go into, and cut off a slice to make a slightly bigger wheel. I know my methods are crude, but I use what I have available, including lack of patience and abilities View attachment 256391View attachment 256393View attachment 256394
Vic, are you redoing the wheels?

@Mr.Deep, I noticed that you had a vertical swoop of black wood between the wales near the bow. I have not seen that on any of the other models what did you use to make it? It looks good. Also, I believe I have seen a model of picture of the ship where at least one gun port cuts into the wale towards the rear of the ship. Is that the way you did it? Did you place the wales before you planked the second skin?
BC205120-B2D3-438E-958C-B88AE1C05455.jpeg

So I fastened a dowel in my new Proxxon mini vise, drilled a hole into the dowel for the axle to go into, and cut off a slice to make a slightly bigger wheel. I know my methods are crude, but I use what I have available, including lack of patience and abilities
I like the way you are thinking, Vic. ;) But...drilling the dowel in 'such' way will never yield a centered hole. Ideal, is to use the lathe and drillbit in the chuck-tale. Also, you 'sliced' the trucks using the fretsaw. You will have more control in your hands if you would use one of the meeter saws (similar to Xacto). Another good tool for such a job would be the meeter box. The combination of use both those tools will give much better results and all trucks are the same size\thikness. Then, you can center drill each of the trucks (wheels).

1631723617490.png

However, the last statement 'luck of patience' is not acceptable. :p There should be absolutely no rush in any part of your model build, otherwise, why start the build?;) Bear in mind, the small details usually attract the eyes and make a model alive, IMHO

I don’t have my new tiny blocks yet for my gun rigging. I’m trying to figure out if the rigging for Continental guns is the same for train and for pulling the gun up to the hull. They appear to be attached to the same eyebolt on the back of the carriage. I believe @dockattner suggested they unhooked them from the front and hooked them to the two eyebolts behind the guns to use them for train rigging. Same rigging for two purposes. Any ideas?

I like the way you are thinking, Vic. ;) But...drilling the dowel in 'such' way will never yield a centered hole. Ideal, is to use the lathe and drillbit in the chuck-tale. Also, you 'sliced' the trucks using the fretsaw. You will have more control in your hands if you would use one of the meeter saws (similar to Xacto). Another good tool for such a job would be the meeter box. The combination of use both those tools will give much better results and all trucks are the same size\thikness. Then, you can center drill each of the trucks (wheels).

View attachment 256397

However, the last statement 'luck of patience' is not acceptable. :p There should be absolutely no rush in any part of your model build, otherwise, why start the build?;) Bear in mind, the small details usually attract the eyes and make a model alive, IMHO
I get it, Jim. Right now I’m just playing with some ideas and experimenting on some carriages that will be covered by the deck. I do like the bigger front wheels. I don’t think I can get my lathe to do what you suggest. I’d need another chuck that would hold a bit. If I drill too deeply, the holes will definitely be off center. Fortunately, I have plenty of dowel if I make a mistake. I’ll look for an Exacto razor saw. I’d have to make a miter box. Maybe I could just saw along the edge of the vise?

Maybe I could just saw along the edge of the vise?the
Yes, you possibly can do it, but... given that the vises are hardened steel, you are risky to get your sawteeth dull, and restore the teeth would be a challenging task. Also, you would set up a cutting size in the miter box, then all the cuts will be identical.
I’m trying to figure out if the rigging for Continental guns is the same for train and for pulling the gun up to the hull. They appear to be attached to the same eyebolt on the back of the carriage.
The British and Continental cannon rigging are different not just on the breeching line, but the way train tackles are attached.

Here is British

1631728554286.png

1631728602944.png

1631728668379.png

Here is the continental cannon rigging

1631728728223.png

1631728925572.png

Yes, you possibly can do it, but... given that the vises are hardened steel, you are risky to get your sawteeth dull, and restore the teeth would be a challenging task. Also, you would set up a cutting size in the miter box, then all the cuts will be identical.

The British and Continental cannon rigging are different not on the breeching line, but the way train tackles are attached.

Here is British

View attachment 256402

View attachment 256403

View attachment 256404

Here is the continental cannon rigging

View attachment 256405

View attachment 256406
Jimsky, the drawing with gun carriage fully tied up served what purpose? Perhaps for rough seas, when combat was not in near future.

Jimsky, the drawing with gun carriage fully tied up served what purpose? Perhaps for rough seas, when combat was not in near future.
Any other than a buttle\combat situations and rough sea. In rough seas, specifically, they close all the ports preventing water inboard thru.

Back