Leap of faith

Hello everyone and thank you for welcoming me on this fantastic forum.

I thought I’ll introduce myself albeit some what belated.
I have bee trawling the forum For the last 6 months with great interest and have been awed and inspired by all the skills and knowledge I find among all members.

I was born in the Netherlands and have been living in the uk for nearly 2 decades now so I guess you can say I’m okay in terms of ship building pedigree.

When I was younger I did a lot of plastic modelling but when I grew older it was left on the hobby was left on the shelf. I have only recently pickup up a wooden ship model again. I can’t remember what it was that made me think about it, probably a random YouTube video. I stumbled across that reignited the fire.

I decided on Amati’sHMS Bounty ( got it off eBay for a bargain) as a learning project.

And learning it did provide!

I learned that this hobby is totally addictive but so rewarding in many ways, both mentally, physically and socially.

I learned that patience it the most important tool ( note to self don’t try to plank a hull in a weekend). I learned that tools do matter and that along the building process you learn about the properties of the materials, something you don’t know until you are working with it.

I learned that a “learning project” provides you with a way to measure your learning, the results are better the further you get into the build. But most of all I learned that it’s not just a hobby, it’s something more, something that links into passion.

I’m still enjoying the work on the bounty ( last bits on the hull before we start on the masts and rigging) but I am already thinking about the next real project to apply the learning.

Some of your build logs have really inspired me and set a clear challenge for my next project.

I do want my next one to be a POF kit. I know there have been various discussions and threads on the subject of jumping to more complex models too soon but I have decided to take the leap of faith and make the Le Requin my next project. I have done a lot of research and will acquire the reference material that others have mentioned in other posts and I’m looking forward doing more research and hopefully you sharing your views, skills and knowledge with me.

Marcel

Welcome aboard Marcel. This is a great place to get answers to any questions you may have regarding any of your current or future builds. As for what you have learned already - its what we all go through when we first start down this path. It only gets worse with time as we begin to realize that what we thought we knew turns out to be just the tip of the iceburg. Its a lifetime of learning - this hobby is - so relax and enjoy the trip.

Hi Chello
Welcome aboard , I wish you a lot of success in the learning and professional development process in the field.
I think everyone should know how to adapt their way according to the time and resources available .
This site has the right people to learn from, because of the amazing and extensive knowledge they have and also because of the positive and welcoming attitude they show on Any question.:)

AND FROM ME TOO, JUST ONE THOUGHT JUST FROM ME, I FIND THE POF FOR ME IS MORE INTERESTING AND FOR THE MOST PART EASIER THEN A POB JUST ME, A LOT OF GREAT POF KITS OUT THERE NOW GOOD CHOICE. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE DON

Hi Don,

Thanks. I agree the POF models just ooze more authenticity. Haven’t tried them so not sure whether it’s easier it just looks like more fun.
I think that a whole different discussion, historical authenticity or creating the look that you prefer.

Welcome Marcel....
SOS is a great place to be. Lots of good folks around here and lots of good information.! Hope your time here is well-spent and gives you some relaxed pleasure. Sit back and enjoy.!!!
SOS is becoming a place of refuge or rather safe haven for me in the stormy seas of my current job and this bizarre situation we are finding ourselves in.
Right, that’s enough poetry for one day back to deciding what my next build will be.

Hi Dan,

Thanks for those wise words. The truth always lays in the simplicity and I am very much looking forward to the one peace at a time approach. Think I’ll make that my mantra!:)
I love that whole research process which I think adds a different dimension to the POF build as it revolves more about the method I think.

Hello Chello,
I am very happy that you decide to join us. You are not part of our family. It is different here as you probably have noticed. SOS is a great place to relax in with no intimidations and a good place to bring your battled soul to.

Donald

Hi Donald. Thanks for that. I have to say that SOS does provide that sense of belonging. I normally don’t do clubs but this feels like a good place to be (although the admiral is wondering if I’m having an affair) ;)

BETTER THEN A AFFAIR, FOR US OLDIES, I TOO HAVE TO KEEP MY SANITY IN THIS RIGHT NOW DEPRESSING WORLD, MY PLACE TO GET AWAY FROM REALITY IS HERE AND BUILDING MANY BUILDS BOTH KITS AND SOME SCRATCH, WELCOME JOINS US. GOD BLESS YOU AND YOURS STAY SAFE DON

Hey Don, never old just wiser. We all need a place to escape. For me at the moment it’s getting entranced in a thread about glue :D.

I know this will be my thing for the next 30 years ( we grow old we n my family) and a scratch build is what I aim for the second I retire

Back