Lecture on board HMS Warrior

First, I hope this is posted in the right place. If not I hope an admin will relocate it to the proper forum.

For those lucky enough to be close enough to attend, this sounds like a fantastic opportunity.

The Society of Nautical Research Annual Dinner on HMS Warrior

The Society's Annual Dinner will be held after the AGM on Saturday 15th June 2024. The AGM will be held at 2.00 p.m. in the Princess Royal Gallery of the National Museum of the Royal Navy. It is expected to finish between 3.30 p.m. and 4.00 p.m. and will be followed by a talk on the progress of the preservation of HMS Victory. Details and papers for the AGM will be sent nearer the time. There will then be time for people to either relax, return to hotels to change or to see elements of the museum (on the free entry for SNR Members).

The evening will start with an optional private tour of HMS Warrior with a guide at 5.45 p.m. this will cost an additional £10. For those wishing to take this option please include in your response to the dinner and with your payment. It does need 15 attendees to be viable.

The main event will start with a reception on the quarterdeck of HMS Warrior from 6.30 p.m. with canapes and some Pimm's (and soft drink alternatives), during this reception there will be the Victory Medal presentation. Shortly after 7.15 p.m. we will go below and sit down to a three course dinner in the atmospheric gun deck. The price includes wine with the meal. The plan is for us to finish around 10.00 p.m. and leave the ship.

Parking is available just outside the dockyard and even for disabled drivers the spaces in the nearest public car parks are closer than you would be able to park in the Naval Dockyard. The train station and bus interchange are also just outside the entrance to the historic dockyard.

The cost is £95 per person (plus the extra £10 for the tour if you wish to take that opportunity). You are of course welcome to bring guests. Rig is jacket and tie or appropriate equivalents, so no requirement to change after the AGM.

To book your place at the dinner please email Kate Jamieson on events@snr.org.uk The menu is below for your information, please let Kate know of any requirements for the vegetarian option (please note the starter and dessert are vegetarian) or other dietary requirements. No comment and it will be assumed you are happy with the duo of lamb.

The menu is:​

• Starter: Red Onion Tart Tatin, Rosary Goats Cheese with Rocket; Pine Nut Salad and Balsamic Syrup​

• Mains: either Duo of Lamb with Rump and Shepherd’s Pie Bon Bon or Ricotta Gnocchi with Wild Mushroom (vegetarian)​

• Dessert: Eton Mess with Berry Gel, Berries and Strawberry Meringue​

• Tea or Coffee and Petits Fours​

• Port​

where is this being held? i see you are in the USA but there is no mention where except at a museum asking £ ... country, state, city... in the USA or abroad? got an address or link?

whats an AGM?

where is this being held? i see you are in the USA but there is no mention where except at a museum asking £ ... country, state, city... in the USA or abroad? got an address or link?

whats an AGM?

This event is in UK

Hi Paul Ron
I just checked Google and found the following:
Address: HM Naval Base (PP66), HM Naval Base, Portsmouth PO1 3NH, UK When it comes up on Google you can click on "directions" Out of curiosity I clicked on Directions and it even gave airlines I could use from my location. :)
Allan

Last edited:
Back