Lenght of tall ship

About Charles W. Morgan whaler ship
For MYSTIC SEAPORT MUSEUM the lenght LOA is 106 feet and 11 inches
For MATTAPOISETT MUSEUM the lenght is LOA is 113
in practice... what size should I consider?
Grazie

Hi Eugene,
I cannot speak for a whaler, but the length of sailing warships generally included only the hull, not the appendages. There was the length of the gun deck, length of the keel, length of the load line, length between perpendiculars. From what I could research the 106 feet 11 inches is the length on the upper deck between the rabbet at the stem and the rabbet at the stern post. If I remember correctly it was usually measured to the inside of the rabbet, but at times the outside of the rabbet. Hopefully a member with more knowledge can clarify this. I am pretty sure the Hillman, Jethro and Zachariah drawings of the Charles Morgan have a scale so that should make things a bit easier.
Allan

Thanks Allan
I think you are right.
So I will do all the calculations referring to the deck length of 106 feet 11 inches.
Now I have to decide on the scale.. whether to respect traditions or refer to the space that my "landlady" allows me..

Wikipedia says it is 113 LOA, but was registered as 106 1/2. Maybe that helps clear up the question.
Of course, I don't consider Wikipedia to be the end all, be all 100% factual source for all things either. :D

Back