Letter Perfect

Somebody please save me. A friend did a great job making the letters OLIVER CROMWELL for me on his laser cutter. They fit perfectly on the stern of the model. Now the problem: how do I get the char off of the letters? Please don't tell me to sit here and methodically sand away at each one. I'm 68 years old. Don't want to be still doing this next year. One of you fine fellows has a better solution, right?

John

Thanks guys. Yes they are wooden letters. I guess I’ll have to dig in and start the sanding. Hopefully I’ll be done by Christmas. Or maybe not.
Depending upon the wood, if it was Chestnut you could have had some to roast around the Yule log as you sand away. PT-2

So, they are just a hair taller than 3/8”. Before I tried to sand - which, unless you make specialized sanding sticks and employ a particularly light touch, are likely to deform the letters - I would try and scrape the char with a razor-honed #11 EXACTO blade. It will be much easier to get into the tightest corners with control.

No matter what, it’s going to be slow-going. Or, you could prime and paint.

I have seen some Mini Sandblasters, similar to an Airbrush. There are a couple on Amazon for about $40.00. Might be just what the doctor ordered.

Good luck, Stu

Last edited:
I do not think sanding or filing these at this size is going to be helpful...too small and I presume somewhat delicate. Vintagemodeler above has the better idea I think. Paint the edges of the letters with burnt umber or flat black. This may actually enhance them and help them stand out. Anyway...my one cent’s worth...

Last edited:
I do not think sanding or filing these at this size is going to be helpful...too small and I presume somewhat delicate. Vintagemodeler above has the better idea I think. Paint the edges of the letters with burnt sienna or flat black. This may actually enhance them and help them stand out. Anyway...my one cent’s worth...
Only problem is the stern where they sit is black. I guess I could go with a light colour.

Back