Lilla Dan, Billing Boats, scale 1:50

Here I shall try to make a build log. I have planked the boat and I dont know if I have much of pictures from that.
Warning, I´m really a beginner in this hobby even if I have tryed to build boats for 5 years now I have never completed anyone.
But maybe I can get some help here getting this one together.

This is a very old kit, bought in 1975 I think. I thought it would be special to try to use the most of the old material, but I have come so far that I have desided to go for some new also.

danritning1.jpg

Last edited:
The other side of the drawing. This is almost all information I have, there is one A4 with some explanations of details and a short building instruction. But I prefer drawings before photoinstructions, the other boat I work with now, Bohulän, dont have any drawing.

Danritning2.jpg

Here is the parts, or what is left of it. I think the fittings is complete because they were in another box. At 1975 you bought the boat in one box and the fittings in another. Ofcourse I bought both at once, I should build it! :)

I rembember that I put the frames up and tried to bend the planks. Went back to the shop and asked if this really was the way to do it. Went home att continued building Tamiya formula one cars in 1:12. :)
That hobby came to an end after Monza 1978.

Dandelar1.jpg

This is how it look like now. I will glue planks on the inside of the outer planking above deck for strenght. And the plywood is something I have added. I will saw new deckplanks in lind.

Danovanifran.jpg

And now, in swedish television you still get a warning when they are showing something frightening, here it is.

I have tried to fix the worst gluing small pieces of wood and then I think I could sand it to a acceptible shape, maybe.
Everything shall be painted. This is the worst side but the other one isnt much better.
Maybe I should have bougth I new kit but I will try to get this one as good as I can.
One thing about mast and spars in this kit, is that they were formed when I bought it. Dont think they are today in Billings kit.Danskrov1.jpg

Hi,

I built the Lilla Dan during the first Lock Down in 2020 ( I nicknamed it "Pandemic I"). It was also a vintage kit but from 1985 which is an up-dated version of the kit you are building. You can find some images that I posted here < Lilla Dan link >. Unfortunately it was built before I joined SOS, so I do not have a build log but I do have some other images of my model which I can send you for reference purposes if you are interested. You may find the attached PDF images useful which are of the ship docked in Copenhagen which I referred to in my build and are taken from the Lilla Dan website < Lilla Dan website > which I found really useful for some detail and to make some corrections on the model.

Hope you find the info useful. I really enjoyed building the model ( I was also lucky enough to see her on a business trip to Denmark a few years ago which was a prompt for the build and a nice connection for me).

Good luck with the rest of the build!

Attachments

• Lilla Dan Ref Pics.pdf
    374.6 KB · Views: 29
Hi

What a beautiful ship you made of her!
I could just dream about something like that. :)
But its not a competition, I enjoy building and have to live with my results. :)

Is there something like personal messages on this forum?
I could send you my email adress.

I found an interesting video on youtube and found out that I could pause and rightclick and save a snapshot.
Probably no news but for other than me, but I got some snapshots that I think will help me.

In my building instructions they advise painting her brown and black. You have built her as she is today, I have not yet decided but I dont like the modern life rafts. I think I prefer three real life boats. Have you seen a picture of her with life boats as in the drawing in this thread?
I think that I have a black and white photo of her with two lifeboats hanging on each side, but no one at the stern.

This is the correct attitude.
enjoy your hobby, and try to learn as much as possible, so that you are doing it with the next model better

Personal messages:
Yes we have - clicl on the nickname you want to write and you will find "Start Conversation"

also youtube videos can be easily shared here - you have only to copy the youtube web-address of the video into your posts

Here I shall try to make a build log. I have planked the boat and I dont know if I have much of pictures from that.
Warning, I´m really a beginner in this hobby even if I have tryed to build boats for 5 years now I have never completed anyone.
But maybe I can get some help here getting this one together.

This is a very old kit, bought in 1975 I think. I thought it would be special to try to use the most of the old material, but I have come so far that I have desided to go for some new also.
Hallo @ubjs
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hi,

I built the Lilla Dan during the first Lock Down in 2020 ( I nicknamed it "Pandemic I"). It was also a vintage kit but from 1985 which is an up-dated version of the kit you are building. You can find some images that I posted here < Lilla Dan link >. Unfortunately it was built before I joined SOS, so I do not have a build log but I do have some other images of my model which I can send you for reference purposes if you are interested. You may find the attached PDF images useful which are of the ship docked in Copenhagen which I referred to in my build and are taken from the Lilla Dan website < Lilla Dan website > which I found really useful for some detail and to make some corrections on the model.

Hope you find the info useful. I really enjoyed building the model ( I was also lucky enough to see her on a business trip to Denmark a few years ago which was a prompt for the build and a nice connection for me).

Good luck with the rest of the build!
I build my Lilla Dan 1979-80. the old not laser- cut model, whereas the model later on,.were/ was are laser cut. The fiitings were a disaster- all in heavy plastic even single and dobbel bloks as well the deadeyes, but I has Model Reyna -the biggest shop for modelling in Spain. it was handed over to my managers farewell party 1982.

6 lila dan- handen over to new owner.jpg

I build my Lilla Dan 1979-80. the old not laser- cut model, whereas the model later on,.were/ was are laser cut. The fiitings were a disaster- all in heavy plastic even single and dobbel bloks as well the deadeyes, but I has Model Reyna -the biggest shop for modelling in Spain. it was handed over to my managers farewell party 1982.

View attachment 378670
I was onbord here en two weeks with our compy managers couse later on

Back