Kit review Longboat - scale 1:48 - by CAF

Uwek

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Some days ago I received a parcel sent to me by CAF

It is the new kit of the longboat, which is also used in the kit of the La Renommee in scale 1:48

Screenshot 2024-06-11 150048.png

POF-kit with individual frames, planking etc.
length appr. 19 cm
all wood made out of Cherry
speciality is the rib construction with transparent installation template

The Box
(postage within a separate wrapped cartonage box, which is not shown in the photos -> safe postage guaranteed with good quality packaging)

IMG_5072.jpg

IMG_5073.jpg

the wooden sheets are wrapped with an additional plastic foil to secure against loss of small parts and humidity

IMG_5074.jpg

the small metal fittings are packed separately

IMG_5083.jpg

The first impression is very good - we are used to it with kits from CAF

IMG_5084.jpg

The wooden sheets

the jig or craddle - good quality wood

IMG_5085.jpg

IMG_5086.jpg

The frames (floor and top timbers) and planking - very good quality with fine grain and accurate laser cuts

IMG_5087.jpg

IMG_5088.jpg

IMG_5090.jpg

all other wooden sheets - I am surprised how many parts such a boat has

IMG_5091.jpg

IMG_5092.jpg

IMG_5093.jpg

IMG_5094.jpg

IMG_5095.jpg

The second impression still is very good -> very good quality of wood with accurate laser cuts - and this in high ratio of details

In the next post I will show you the fittings and the manuals etc.

One speciality of this kit are the transparent installation templates for the rib or frame construction - it is looking like a very clever idea to get these filigran elements of floor and top timbers together

sorry it is hard to make good photos of transparent sheets

the floor timbers
IMG_5104.jpg

the top timbers
IMG_5105.jpg

the sandwhich of a floor timber sheet with the top timber sheet
IMG_5107.jpg

the two template sheets are fixed together - no movement possible

IMG_5108.jpg

IMG_5109.jpg

I think this photo from the CAF-webpage makes it more clear

Screenshot 2024-06-11 150101.png

I am sure, that with this way the making of these filigran frames will be much easier

Screenshot 2024-06-11 150218.png

the photo etched parts

IMG_5096.jpg

IMG_5097.jpg

and several small blister bags with metal parts - just beautiful and absolutely in scale

IMG_5098.jpg

IMG_5099.jpg

IMG_5100.jpg

IMG_5101.jpg

IMG_5102.jpg

IMG_5103.jpg

And this would be the result - high grade of details absolutely in correct scale

Screenshot 2024-06-11 150126.png

and a short view on the manual, the parts list and the drawing - everything necessary shwon and explained

IMG_5075.jpg IMG_5076.jpg

IMG_5077.JPG IMG_5078.jpg

IMG_5079.jpg IMG_5080.jpg

IMG_5081.jpg IMG_5082.jpg

This very interesting kit is available directly from @CAFmodel on their web-page

Please take also a look here:

Last edited:
Nice looking kit Uwe. I never realized there were such distinct differences between the French and English longboats. Thanks for posting!
Allan

Very nice looking kit of the long boat, now to hope the build is not as long as the boat.

Then you will have a kit within a kit.

WOW! Very nice of CAF to make such a nice model. Impressed with the construction methods and amount of details in the kit.

greetings for the new purchase, I wish you a pleasant construction my friend

I am guessing they are not actually zigzagged. It may be a low resolution picture pasted into the post. The actual parts hopefully are straight and if the paste of the picture is a pdf the lines might look to be straight. I cannot imagine CAF would have cut with zig zag lines. Drawing the zig zags for the laser would be cumbersome so why would they do that?

Allan

Back