Looking for a second model ship.

I started my first model mid last year, a Port Jackson Schooner. Ran into some planking issues, got most of them resolved but still not happy with the results, and quite honestly I'm getting kind of bored with it.

I was looking at the Brig Syren, but given the problems I ran into with the schooner, would the Syren be a bit too ambitious for me at this point?

Thanks

first i admire your willingness to carry on with model ship building after a struggle with issure with the Port Jackson schooner. However as you said you did resolve the issure. With that being said and not knowing your personal skill level the Brig Syren is a bit more challenging but nothing you can not handle. To your advantage we do have several build logs on the subject and people here to advise you. Another advantage to the model is the hull is coppered which may cover any errors in planking. My vote is to go for it it is a qualty kit with good instructions and a forum to back you up.

aside from the Syren the bluenose build group is a possibility

Thanks Dave;

We learn more from our failures than we do from our successes, and damn, I learned a lot on this one. :)

Hey Toleolu. I'm starting the rigging on my first kit build, the Albatros by OcCre. I found this website https://www.occremania.com/naval/ that has helped me tremendously along the way. He has step-by-step videos for the OcCre Essex, HMS Terror, and HMS Beagle. I think I'm going to pick one of these for my next build, when I finish the Albatros. As far as customer service with OcCre, they've been great about sending replacement parts. I don't know how OcCre compares to other companies as I don't have anything to compare them to, but the quality of the Albatros seems good.

my second model was Constructo's Mayflower, and learned the basics of planking there the hard way. I can also recommend Constructo's Pilar. It is not too large, so if you're learning planking, then that is a nice small project to practice on. Congrats on your perseverance, by the way: keep up the good work!

I know the feeling when things don't go right. I am currently rigging my Endeavour and attached the first two pairs of deadeyes with shrouds on the main mast. One pair proved ardous and I replaced it 6 times before I was happy with the result, and I am not pedantic! When things don't go well, I just leave the dry dock and do something else, like enjoying two fingers of scotch. I have to be careful, though, that I don't get things too wrong too often otherwise I may become an alcoholic! Redface

I went through the same with Unicorn. Consider HMS Lady Nelson; I have this waiting. I also purchased from Modellers Central the DVD for this kit presented step by step by a master modeller. This project should not take too long to complete being a one mast vessel but the skills from the DVD will be priceless. Francis

Take a look at the build practicums offered by Bob Hunt on Lauckstreetshipyard.com. Even if you do not buy a practicum it will give you solid suggestions as to the progression of difficulty of ship models from beginners to advanced. May help you decide.
On another note…there are aspects of model ship building that I also find incredibly boring so don’t feel alone. I hate sanding for example. And wait till you have to tie a few thousand knots building ratlines on a three masted model. As we say…endeavor to persevere!

Thanks for the suggestions.

I agree with you Jim about the rigging, in fact, I wasn't planning on doing much, if any, of that on this first model. I've also run into a similar problem with the deck furniture, trying to work and fit those small pieces is a bit tedious for me. Plus, in this kit at least, the material used for those pieces dosen't take stain very well. I don't like to paint wood, but that's just me.

Which brings me back to the Brig. My interest initially was the size, but then when I discovered that the hull was painted and partially covered in copper, I started having second thoughts. On my schooner, except for the few areas in the bow where things got really messed up, I was very happy with the results on the rest of the hull. The mahogany for the second planking layer stained nicely and then I finished it with Tru Oil. I went with Tru Oil because I didn't like the amber tint the shellac added.

So my thinking was get the Brig, but then source some material for a second planking layer that I could stain and finish to my liking, however, paying that kind of money for basically just a hull seems like something the government would do, so I'm still looking around.

Thanks again.

Have you looked at the Master Korabel line? They are double planked and the planking strakes are even pre shaped for you so it will show you what your planking should look like on future models, they even pre stain the wood that needs to be black, I think you have to be a bit more meticulous in assembly though because too much sanding might get you in trouble… anyway, take a look at them as an option.

Back