Looking for Plans/Plates for HMS Victory

Hell All,

I'm looking for the plans for the HMS Victory. I know she is the most famous warship from the age of sale period and built to death. With that said, I've not been able to find any plans for her at all. I've searched the internet, contacted naval museums, searched many forums, nada, zilch.

I have all the books of note on her, but need the plates. There are a number of books that have them contained within, like McKay's, but to extrapolate accurately, especially while being bound, is beyond me.

Does anyone know where I can find a set of plans for sale. I'm just looking for a source.

Thanks in advance.
Ken

What do you mean by plans/plates. I just finished a Mamoli Victory. I make duplicates of all my plans. It's sixteen pages of plans and then three 1/1 ratio sheets. Is this what you're looking for?

What do you mean by plans/plates. I just finished a Mamoli Victory. I make duplicates of all my plans. It's sixteen pages of plans and then three 1/1 ratio sheets. Is this what you're looking for?
It's a 1/90 scale

It's a 1/90 scale
Ken, I'm referring to the plans that allow you to create the ship from scratch, not plans from a model kit manufacturer. I have the 1/72 Caldercraft kit and did an unboxing of it last year. I have all the plans Caldercraft included with the kit. However, I want build the HMS Victory, using some of the Caldercraft's kit components, but scratch when it comes to the frames/hull. So I'm looking for the plans to allow me to do that. Plates is the term sometimes used for the individual drawings.

Ken, I'm referring to the plans that allow you to create the ship from scratch, not plans from a model kit manufacturer. I have the 1/72 Caldercraft kit and did an unboxing of it last year. I have all the plans Caldercraft included with the kit. However, I want build the HMS Victory, using some of the Caldercraft's kit components, but scratch when it comes to the frames/hull. So I'm looking for the plans to allow me to do that. Plates is the term sometimes used for the individual drawings.

are you thinking of building a framed hull or a plank on bulkhead hull?

i doubt you will find a set of plans with all the frames drawn that is something you would have to do. first you will need the drawings from the museum or a draft of the hull lines. then you need reference books like these.

tell me exactly what you have in mind for the model

v1.JPGv2.JPG

are you thinking of building a framed hull or a plank on bulkhead hull?

i doubt you will find a set of plans with all the frames drawn that is something you would have to do. first you will need the drawings from the museum or a draft of the hull lines. then you need reference books like these.

tell me exactly what you have in mind for the model

View attachment 229735View attachment 229736
Dave

My plan is to build a fully framed hull and the plans I've been searching for 9 months now are drawings of the frames. I have regretfully realized they do not exist, as you stated. I have both of the books you've listed as well as McKay's ''The 100-Gun Ship Victory (Anatomy of the Ship). I've also been looking for the reference by Arthur Bulger and the 17 plate edition, but the cheapest I can find is about $400.

I was hoping I would be able to find drawings of the frames in the scale I wanted, but alas. I'm reluctant to take on a project where I now have to scale everything up to 1/72. I've not done it before and I believe there are perhaps too many points of failure when it comes to the math.

I have some thinking to do. Maybe over a strong cup of coffee, or better yet a single malt scotch.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

Cheers,
Ken

Try this guys
1619503826452.png
then take them to the local print shop and you scale 1:96 x 1.3334 and 1:48 x 0.6667 and then you will have a set of plans at 1:72.

Dave

My plan is to build a fully framed hull and the plans I've been searching for 9 months now are drawings of the frames. I have regretfully realized they do not exist, as you stated. I have both of the books you've listed as well as McKay's ''The 100-Gun Ship Victory (Anatomy of the Ship). I've also been looking for the reference by Arthur Bulger and the 17 plate edition, but the cheapest I can find is about $400.

I was hoping I would be able to find drawings of the frames in the scale I wanted, but alas. I'm reluctant to take on a project where I now have to scale everything up to 1/72. I've not done it before and I believe there are perhaps too many points of failure when it comes to the math.

I have some thinking to do. Maybe over a strong cup of coffee, or better yet a single malt scotch.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

Cheers,
Ken

Drawing a set of plans with all the frames is a massive amount of work and you really need experience in drafting to do it.
right off the only British ship of the line set of plans with all the framing drawn out is Harold Hahn's Alfred at least that i know of, there may be others

Try this guys
View attachment 229880
then take them to the local print shop and you scale 1:96 x 1.3334 and 1:48 x 0.6667 and then you will have a set of plans at 1:72.

Ah, Thanks Ray. Looking a little closer at the description of the plans, there doesn't seem to be any frame drawings listed and that is the key requirement for me. I'll confirm later when I get a chance.

Thanks for the help!
Cheers,
Ken

i am a draftsman not trained as in marine drafting that is something i did on the side as a hobby, so i know it is very difficult to draw out a hull with all the timbering. There is another way to approach getting the frame shapes. I tried it and it does work.

What is available are the hull lines and bodyplan from the NMM do not order a paper copy of the plans or you will end up with a huge set of drawings and expensive. Order a photograph of the plans. Next step is to use these drawings and build a 1/2 hull that is a solid shape of the hull. you can reduce the scale to make it easier or if you want make the 1/2 hull the size of the model you want to build. Now, once you have the hull shaped you slice it like a loaf or bread then use these slices and trace them. You will have to add the inside shape of the frames but that is easy to do.
Like i said i have done this using sigh board which is a dense foam board that works and sands easy.

if anyone here has the book Navy Board Ship Models by John Franklin maybe they would post the section on how these model were built. In short a rough hull was assembled and the hull was shaped as one piece. I have seen this done by building a rough out frame then a spacer and another frame so on the length of the hull. Then the hull is sanded to shape, taken apart and reassembled. You use the bodyplan lines as the reference to shape the hull.

Any way you look at it this will be a big project that might take years to do.

to expand on the idea of creating a half hull comes from the way Admiralty models were built
here is a description from Navy board Ship models by John Franklin.

Using this idea you can take any plank on bulkhead set of drawings and use the shape of the bulkheads as a guide. Fill in between the bulkheads with a soft wood or foam board to shape the hull. Most kits space the bulkheads far apart so i would suggest using a bodyplan to get the shapes for the control patterns.
Once you have a shaped hull it is easy to cut it in sections and use those as a template for frame shapes.
(in US copyright law) the doctrine that brief excerpts of copyright material may be quoted verbatim for purposes such as criticism, news reporting, teaching, and research, without the need for permission from or payment to the copyright holder.

img074.jpgimg075.jpg

here is the idea in images

start with a bodyplan

bodyplan1.jpg

use those body lines and cut out sections

pattern2.jpg

you do not need the shape of all the frames that go between the body lines just fill in between them and shape the hull.

assembled hull blocks.jpg

finished hull 1.jpg

when you separate the the sections you have all the frame shapes

finished hull 3.jpg

so all you need are the hull lines

general hunter 300.jpg

to build a plank on frame hull

general hunter.jpg

here is the idea in images

start with a bodyplan

View attachment 230307

use those body lines and cut out sections

View attachment 230308

you do not need the shape of all the frames that go between the body lines just fill in between them and shape the hull.

View attachment 230309

View attachment 230310

when you separate the the sections you have all the frame shapes

View attachment 230311

so all you need are the hull lines

View attachment 230312

to build a plank on frame hull

Back