Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways (1:24) [COMPLETED BUILD]

I wasn't going to post this build log, but there weren't any for the kit and I figured if anyone just starting out wanted to check it out, it might be worth it. This was a super fun and quick build, which was what I was looking for. Almost immediate satisfaction, but lots of fun little details to keep me interested.

PXL_20210909_160503693.jpg

It's a pretty big box, but not a whole lot in there. Everything is laser cut, even the planks so there is very little shaping required.

PXL_20210909_160545080.jpg

PXL_20210909_160831628.jpg

For the boat's bottom, there are two options. They provide a single laser cut piece that can be used or three pieces or three planks that are glued up. I went with the three planks.

PXL_20210909_175806852.jpg
PXL_20210910_001241764.jpg

The frames are pretty straight forward, I glued them over the full size images provided to ensure everything was lined up correctly. This was probably the most fiddly part of this whole build,

PXL_20210910_001257243.jpg

Once the frames are complete, they are inserted upside down in a provided jig and I glued the bottom in place. I used rubber bands to clamp everything together. Be careful putting the rubber bands on and off. I snapped one of the frames accidentally and gluing it back together was the most challenging thing I had to do for this build.

PXL_20210910_085754813.jpg

The planks, all laser cut, are applied next. The only thing of note is to pre-bend them and be sure to bevel the planks. In the instructions they say just do a half inch, but the planks are longer than the hull and if you just do the last half inch that will end up getting cut off from the overhang on the back, so be sure to see where the plank is actually going to end against the stern and make sure the bevel matches.

PXL_20211007_000128037.jpg

The kit provides 5 oars so you have one to practice on, but really it's relatively easy. It just takes some time and is worth going slow to ensure they are round and consistent.

PXL_20211007_002506122.MP.jpg

With the hull off the jig, The tops of the frames are cut off, and sanded smooth.

PXL_20211019_105733434.jpg

With the boat free from the jig, the side cleats and bands are installed, then the gunwales, and finally the breast hook.

PXL_20211023_005131955.jpg

With all the construction done, it's time for some paint. I went with the suggested paint scheme, but there are hundreds of variations if you Google Grand Banks Dory.

PXL_20211026_141336196.MP.jpg

With the painting done, I tied the beckets stern and aft, then placed the thwarts. While the thwarts are laser cut, there is some sanding in fitting that needs to be done so they sit properly. Just test fit constantly.

PXL_20211026_230241088.MP.jpg

So that's it. Place the oars in and you have a wonderful sense of accomplishment. and didn't spend a year or more working on it.

PXL_20211030_091942784.jpg

Hopefully someone out there will find this useful.

This was a very nice build Rodney and it has turned into a delightful model to look at. You can be well pleased with your efforts and look forward to your Bluenose build with confidence! Thumbsup

Hi Rodney thanks for your build log, I was looking at this kit to add to a Bluenose build to give some dory detail. Cheers
It's very straightforward. It's fun because you get some quick satisfaction, which doesn't always happen when building model ships.

I wasn't going to post this build log, but there weren't any for the kit and I figured if anyone just starting out wanted to check it out, it might be worth it. This was a super fun and quick build, which was what I was looking for. Almost immediate satisfaction, but lots of fun little details to keep me interested.

View attachment 279168

It's a pretty big box, but not a whole lot in there. Everything is laser cut, even the planks so there is very little shaping required.

View attachment 279169

View attachment 279170

For the boat's bottom, there are two options. They provide a single laser cut piece that can be used or three pieces or three planks that are glued up. I went with the three planks.

View attachment 279171
View attachment 279172

The frames are pretty straight forward, I glued them over the full size images provided to ensure everything was lined up correctly. This was probably the most fiddly part of this whole build,

View attachment 279173

Once the frames are complete, they are inserted upside down in a provided jig and I glued the bottom in place. I used rubber bands to clamp everything together. Be careful putting the rubber bands on and off. I snapped one of the frames accidentally and gluing it back together was the most challenging thing I had to do for this build.

View attachment 279174

The planks, all laser cut, are applied next. The only thing of note is to pre-bend them and be sure to bevel the planks. In the instructions they say just do a half inch, but the planks are longer than the hull and if you just do the last half inch that will end up getting cut off from the overhang on the back, so be sure to see where the plank is actually going to end against the stern and make sure the bevel matches.

View attachment 279175

The kit provides 5 oars so you have one to practice on, but really it's relatively easy. It just takes some time and is worth going slow to ensure they are round and consistent.

View attachment 279176

With the hull off the jig, The tops of the frames are cut off, and sanded smooth.

View attachment 279183

With the boat free from the jig, the side cleats and bands are installed, then the gunwales, and finally the breast hook.

View attachment 279185

With all the construction done, it's time for some paint. I went with the suggested paint scheme, but there are hundreds of variations if you Google Grand Banks Dory.

View attachment 279186

With the painting done, I tied the beckets stern and aft, then placed the thwarts. While the thwarts are laser cut, there is some sanding in fitting that needs to be done so they sit properly. Just test fit constantly.

View attachment 279187

So that's it. Place the oars in and you have a wonderful sense of accomplishment. and didn't spend a year or more working on it.

View attachment 279188

Thank you for posting! Looks great> I just finished mine.

Many thanks, my grand daughter loves my ship models. I think this would be a nice starter project for her.
Being on the Canadian east coast there is local history too.

Many thanks, my grand daughter loves my ship models. I think this would be a nice starter project for her.
Being on the Canadian east coast there is local history too.
This is a very easy build and certainly a great starter. The only warning I have is the ribs are very fragile until it's planked. I broke several and had to make new ones. Other than that it's straight forward and very fun.

View attachment 279168

View attachment 279169

View attachment 279170

View attachment 279171
View attachment 279172

View attachment 279173

View attachment 279174

View attachment 279175

View attachment 279176

View attachment 279183

View attachment 279185

View attachment 279186

View attachment 279187

View attachment 279188

Hallo @RodneyB
we wish you all the BEST and belayed a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

A very happy birthday Rodney. I wish you a year of health and plenty of time to progress full steam ahead with Bluenose.

Back