Lowell Grand Banks dory

I've just started working on wooden models, and thought it was a good idea to start with the basics. I'm working on the Lowell Grand Banks dory. I do have a question about step 13... the false stem. Just where do I get this "extra" piece? I'm thinking it's from the additional wood 3/64 x 1/8 strip basswood, but the instructions don't actually say this. Can someone give me a clue? Thanks

Hallo,
sometimes it is good to show the problem with one or two photos describing better the situation.
Otherwise only members which have built this model and still have the problem in mind are able to help

Often such pieces are indeed fashioned out of the wood stock included in the kit. I agree, instructions for many kits could be more clear about this. Instructions are often developed with the thought that modelers know basic skills when this is not always the case. Beginners must begin someplace. When I built my first wood ship model I avoided CA glue because I didn’t know what it was and did not not know how to use it…my first attempt it just ran all over the place! Anyway, look for a piece of stock wood the same dimensions as the part you need and fashion the piece...cut, trim, and sand. You are on track! Welcome and continue to use the forum for help and support! Last…remember it is just wood…if the part looks wrong, make another! The beauty of wood ship models!

I finished this kit a couple of months ago. Yes, you do have to fashion the piece out of the basswood strip. Cut it to size, then glue it on and bevel it .
By the way, the kits makes a beautiful model.

Back