coureur9a.jpg

monographie-du-coureur-lougre-1776 (1).jpg

coureur17a.jpg

coureur18a.jpg coureur19a.jpg

Take a look for more detailed information:

Attachments

• lecoureur (2).pdf
    457.8 KB · Views: 56
I found this interesting link . There is a language option setting at the top of the site
Oh ja - this is the beautiful scratch build model by Etienne Piette

Are any of you guys aware of any plans that show the actual deck framing plan? Or is there a plan that it would be like? A French cutter perhaps?

Are any of you guys aware of any plans that show the actual deck framing plan? Or is there a plan that it would be like? A French cutter perhaps?
Hallo,
what do you mean with "deck framing"? The beams, carlings etc. ?
Or deck planking?

The deck beams are shown in the contemporary drawing

j0874.jpg
Scale: 1:48. A plan showing the upper deck, and fore and aft platforms, with proposed modifications in green, for 'Coureur' (1778), a captured French lugger, as modified to an 8-gun Schooner. Signed by John Henslow [Master Shipwright, Plymouth Dockyard, 1775-1784; later Surveyor of the Navy, 1784-1806].

Isn’t that a “simplified “ drawing? Would there really be no knees, lodging or hanging, and no carlings or hatch and mast partners? I mean these ships were used for trade and shipping goods back and forth to different ports weren’t they? Wouldn’t they need to be strong and use the same technique’s as used in the Alert for example? Or were they built differently, with a much less “robust” framing design? Is it because the deck did not have to support any armaments that it would not have to be framed the same?

Isn’t that a “simplified “ drawing? Would there really be no knees, lodging or hanging, and no carlings or hatch and mast partners? I mean these ships were used for trade and shipping goods back and forth to different ports weren’t they? Wouldn’t they need to be strong and use the same technique’s as used in the Alert for example? Or were they built differently, with a much less “robust” framing design? Is it because the deck did not have to support any armaments that it would not have to be framed the same?
The Le Coureur had a very light structure, this is also described by Jean Boudriot in his Monography.
So she had f.e. no knees.
I will check during the weekend the descriptions and given information from Boudriot and will reply afterwards.....

I found something also interesting.....the build of the replica of the british lugger Grayhound (1776)

plan-grayhound.jpg

Ok, the Le Coureur was slightly bigger, but we can get in the video a good impression of such a vessel.

Timelapse film of the construction

I think there must have been more to the deck framing than those beams and hatch framing, but I am no expert or researcher just seems like the deck would flex a lot during a storm or high winds / heavy seas - and those cannon weighed many tons didn’t they?possibly all those cabin bulkheads below the deck beams helped to support the beams and deck? It’s hard to tell from that Body plan.

we should also take a close look at the wonderful models and construction steps of Etienne Piette Lougre de guerre 1776 - build based on Boudriots drawings

Cool video Uwe, too bad the camera wasn’t a bit higher looking into the interior- it sure looks like there are only the beams there although there appear to be more than the Coureur plan shows - also she was not clinker planked the frames are not serrated.... awesome find Uwe!!

Wow, Etienne certainly is a master, I stand corrected Uwe, it appears that she is framed in a light manner as depicted, except for those extra light “arches framing” ( kind of light gauge carlings) the deck framing looks the same.... thank you for your research efforts and detective work Uwe, and thank you for the link to that site! There is also some great pictures of a favorite ship and possibly a future build for me - The Shark “Le Requin”. Wow those French builders are gifted - very impressive!!

Nice little Ship. I am assuming this group build there isnt a group planset you just have to order them from Ancre?

if so does anyone know how much they are offhand as after all my cancer crap I need to really watch my cash flow and may take a bit to save up. Would love to do a 3D version as I am supposed to stay away from dust for a few months

Joseph, this is the CAF Models Le Coureur kit - it is $342 plus shipping (@$75 to USA) so it’s much more doable than a scratch build plus it’s a great value when you look at the design and materials in the kit.

ok thanks yea but its tiny lol if I was to do one it would just be for the plan set and then scan them in and do it full scale as a 3D model atm

Maybe you should try to ask ancre, if there would be the possibility to get the plans alone separate ?
You could write a mail and ask......

On used market, there is a good offer on abebooks for the Le Coureur + the Belle Poule in a set for 100 Euros

its not so much the cost as I save when i want something and when i saved enough i buy. I just hate getting folded plans and when I bought the complete 74 gun set books plus timbering plans plus got the le fleuron at the same time they would not send me the plans rolled and after unfolding them all the creases etc distorted everything.

I spent about $1000 US with shipping etc in one go took me abt 6 months to save up a little from each check and they couldnt even send the plans in a tube even after offering to pay any extra shipping

Back