M/S Gun Boat Philadelphia [COMPLETED BUILD]

As explained before I tried a new way of bending planks both external and internal (ceiling planking) followed the instructions, I did not use heat to shapoe the planks just soaked in hot wter for a couple of minutes then clamped in place cam out GREAT the bend fit right in, let dry overnight and it came out Great, it was 1/16 inch material do not know how much thicker material will work this way

20181112_234636[3736].jpg20181112_234636[3738].jpg20181113_232031[3763].jpg

Hi Joe, Thanks for the compliment,,, My thoughts on the kit is this it is one of the better MS kits, the plans are excellent and the instructions are much better then other ms that I have done it is a large model mesuring 27inches, so can have a lot of details, Bob Crane did a wonderfull job on this kit, the only draw back is the materials, all in basswood with the decks pre made which looks rather checky, so I ordered beech and poplar from Dave at the Lumberyard, as always good quality material and am bashing the decking with Beech, I used beech on the exterior planking, and Poplar on the ceiling planking, and a couple of coats of Min-wax Natural stain, and finshed up wit a coat of Min-wax water based acrclic, to some up i think the kit is excellent overall, and a very nice build, let us see how the rest shapes up. Don

Yeah I wish MS would use better wood its prevented me from buying some of there offerings. Glad it's going well for you can't wait to see more on this build

Will be doing more on this one and my Blanford build at the first of the year when all my CHRISTMAS PRESENTS ARE COMPLETED AND MAILED this usally happens at this time of year for me starting in October trough the end of Januray, so only do some fill in work on my mainprojects till the first. THANKS ALL Don

Hi Everyone, Finished all my Christmas gifts, now back to work on the Philadelphia gunboat and the Blanford X section, showing the difference of the kit furnished decking and my decking, WHAT DOES EVERYONE THINK, also the kit provides a lot of patterens that i will be showing you, it has patterens for the location of EYE BOLTS, RING BOLTS AND HAWS HOLE LOCATIONS, and I love to us patterns, the picture I show is one of the patterns for KNEE LOCATIONS NOTICE THERE IS A DIFFERECE BETWEEN PORT AND STARBOARD LOCATIONS THIS IS BECAUSE OF THE 9 POUND GUN LOCATIONS FOR PORT AND STARBOARD,,,,so far I am enjoying this build, ,,,Blandford main deck will start as soon as I receive my timber package from the LUMBERYARD

20190101_211908[3879].jpg20190101_212057[3878].jpg20190101_211816[3880].jpg

More progress, on the Gunboat Philadelphia, showing the storage lockers dry fitted more work to be done on the staeboard locker, also showing the knees in place, and a interesting piece on the mas partner, using the kit provided jig, the jig CAN NOT BE GLUED IN PLACE OR YOU WILL NOT GET IT OUT, the mast partner is dry fitted, all coments or critisims accepted only way to learn.

20190107_200108[3913].jpg20190107_195959[3914].jpg20190107_200220[3912].jpg20190107_200850[3911].jpg20190107_205809[3910].jpg

more progress on the GUNBOAT PHILADELPHIA, pictures showing, the kit provided templates, for the ey bolts, ring bolts and hawes hole, the template showing the port side are the ring bolts for the GUN RIGGING, and some eye bolts for the rigging, the templates for the hawes hole on the port side both interior and exterior placement, the ring bolts and the eye bolts shown are through holes using a washer on the exterior, I apolgize for the picture showing the shot garland racks, it has a fixture for obtaining the correct height, the instructions say use 2 1/8 pieces and one 1/ 16 piece, after i finish building the gun cariages and probally the cap rails, i am going to put it aside for a while because the next step is the rigging which i need to study as I normally do not do the masts a rigging for 2 reasons 1 being room to display and the 2nd and prbally the real reason is that I DO NOT KNOW WHAT I AM DOING, so probally will need to ask questions, AND IAM GOING TO START A BUILDING LOG on WHAT I CALL A SEMI-SCRATCH BUILD OF JOHN CABOTS SHIP OF HIS EXPLORATION OF CANADAS COST ESPECIALLY NEWFOUNDLAND, as always all coments and crtisisms are accepted

20190115_193152[3953].jpg20190115_193255[3952].jpg20190115_193526[3951].jpg20190115_193817[3950].jpg20190115_194036[3949].jpg

progress pictures showing gun carriages built with eye bolts and transom bolts installed, showing unfinished 9 pounder barrel dry fitted, will be put together and sprayed a flat black other picture shows kit blocks single and double, also deadeyes question here for any body do they look to be in scale for the size of the model, thanks for any help

20190124_214048[4034].jpg20190124_213551[4035].jpg

Need help, can anyone tell me about the scale of the BLOCKS, and ESPECIALLY THE DEADEYES are the to small or are they OK need to know because I want to rig the guns but not sure, using large thread for the gun rigging, so HELP IS NEEDED. Don

Hi everyone, in one of my pictures, I show some blocks, deadeyes etc I am getting ready to rig the 9 pounder guns my QUESTION DO THE LOOK TO SMALL FOR THE SIZE OF THE MODEL something does not look right can anyone help Don

Hi everyone, in one of my pictures, I show some blocks, deadeyes etc I am getting ready to rig the 9 pounder guns my QUESTION DO THE LOOK TO SMALL FOR THE SIZE OF THE MODEL something does not look right can anyone help Don

I think you mean this photo, or?
20190124_214048[4034].jpg

Still packed in the plastic bags it is hard to see, if they are out-scaled or not.....so best would be to show them in comparison to the boat, guns etc.
On the other hand it will be also only a speculation via feeling - is it looking correct or not?
In moment they are not looking bad or out-scaled

If we take a look at the original boat, I guess it is the gunboat USS Philadelphia (1776), or?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Philadelphia_(1776)
USSPhiladelphiaModel.jpg

It was a flat bottom (I think) river gun boat with relatively small single lateen sail to harness favorable winds - I think the types´s name is Gandulow or Gundalow or something like this..... so the forces from the sail going via the shrouds (they had only two or three on each side) - into the deadeyes into the hull are very limited
-> so I would not be surprised, if the were very small.
It was nothing more (related to sailing forces) than a small fishing or transport boat on rivers

Definitely the diameter of the deadeyes were mainly depending on the diameter / thickness of the shrouds.

Look at this photo I found:

Very small

If this is not helping, we would need the actual size (diameter) of the deadeyes and scale, so maybe we can find and compare these measures with data in several publications of real ships - or asking the Smithsonian Institution or museum, where the wreck is in exhibition, if they have further information about this detail

IMG_19351.jpgIMG_17821.jpgIMG_0246_1_4.jpg

Back