Making Gratings

My current build of the AL San Francisco II included a lot of pre-cut pieces for construction several (6) grates. Unfortunately, nearing the end of the pieces, I was left with very poor quality pieces - too thin, some broken or crooked, wrong notches. I decided I would build my own. I bought a Proxxon tablesaw (KS115) and build a sled/jig to make the parts. I used scraps from my shop to put the crosscut sled together and added an indexing pin very much like a jig for building box joints. Then I did a trial run with a small billet of Basswood. It worked well but I still need to produce billets from either Poplar or maybe Maple for my final pieces.grating2.jpggrating3.jpgProxxon1.jpgProxxon2.jpgProxxonSled1.jpgProxxonSled2.jpgProxxonSled3.jpgProxxonSled4.jpgProxxonSled4.jpgProxxonSled5.jpg

Great job you did..
Here the way the grits are composed:

Running parnell to the keel are the thin planks crossing rectangularly in grooves the thick bars. And the hole construction is bent.

Polish_20200322_191018946.jpg

This shows the typical baroque French item recognizeable are these wedged endings of the bars that was horizontally shaped at all other nations grits.

Detail taken from the90 gun ship SAINT PHILIPPE 1693 - 1715 ancre Monography 2019 first edition.

Hoping this clearifys the opical difference anf trouble of grits made from identically shaped grooved planks simply stick into each other as typically found in kits.

Back