Making the Ringbolts - an introduction to metalsmith works

Jimsky

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

A bolt fitted with a ring through its eye, used for securing, running, rigging, etc. - called Ringbolt

Greetings folks. This type of ship element freely available thru many different model builder suppliers, and included with every kit. For the most part, they are OK to use 'as is', but... some could be oversized\undersized for the given scale. This dilemma can be easily overcome by fabricating our own, from scratch! It is not that difficult and doesn't require power tools. So...
There many ways to make ringbolts and each of us has its own taste and preference. I will show one of the ways I like most. IMHO they look pretty authentic on the model and doesn't require a lot of effort. But you are the ones to judge... Without any fuss or delay, let's start

Depending on the scale and desk position, I use two types of wires when making ringbolts: steel and brass. Each material has its own cons and pross.
- Steele: my favorite, very strong and doesn't require blackening. The only drawback, I can NOT manage to solder it (any suggestion Welcome!!!). Because of this, I use this only as decorations and don't use for functional rigging where you need to put some pressure.
- Brass: very soft to use, can be soldered with hard solder (silver-based) but require a blackened solution to make black. Yet, I didn't archive 100% satisfaction with a blackening solution.

Today we will talk about steel ringbolts. What do we need for this exercise? Steel wire 0.50mmø for eye ring and 0.60mmø for the ring. This is inexpensive\utility wire I bought in a hardware store. It is anodized and looks bright.

IMG_1228.JPEG IMG_1230.JPEG
We will also need two types of pliers: Flat and round nose

IMG_1226.JPEG IMG_1227.JPEG

We also will need a soldering torch and drill bit. The wire MUST be softened using the soldering torch. Once it is cool down, we start forming an eye bolt. The picture might not be as sharp as I wanted, but this is something I will have to learn (hopefully in this world) ;)

PART1: an eye bolt

Put the 0.50mmø wire between the end tips of the round nose. Generally, this should be dictated by the inside diameter of the eyebolt. The closer to the end, the smaller the inside diameter will be.

IMG_1190.JPEG

While holding pliers and wire tight, turn the pliers (either way) to form a loop. Try to do it as a single path, so it
has not left marks. Also, make sure there is a minimum gap between the and point.

IMG_1191.JPEG

You should have similar to this

IMG_1192.JPEG

For the next step, hold the pliers close to the end loop like on the picture below. It is important pount to hold in that place, else it will not form round eye.

IMG_1193.JPEG

While holding the wire close to the loop, turn the pliers opposite direction of the loop forming

IMG_1195.JPEG

This should do it! But...if you still have a large gap and the eye-head is not round, twist opposite to close the gap. It should look like this

IMG_1199.JPEGIMG_1201.JPEG IMG_1200.JPEG
Hey...We just finished one of the elements of the ringbolt - an eyebolt. When it comes to repetitive work, you have to think about a process to simplify it. Hence, I cut about 10 pieces of wires by 50mm each and form an eye-bolt from both ends. I don't cut an eyebolt until the entire ringbolt completed.

IMG_1202.JPEG
PART 2 - Rings

Using 0.60mmø wire we form the rings. Recall, We must anneal the wire in order to make it easier to work with. Using the drill bit like the former twist (like spring) the wire.

IMG_1203.JPEG

While twisting the wire, it gets harder again. So the heat will needed to make it softer. We use a soldering torch for this

IMG_1204.JPEG

Once it is completely cool down, it is time to cut rings. In my opinion, this is the trickiest part. While some of us prefer to use cutters, I use jewelers saw. You have to be really careful and patient. If you cut it wrong, then the ring will not form well. So what is the trick? Use the thinnest blade you have, I use 8/0 by Contenty brand. The thinnest blade, the invisible gap will be. Cut the wire spring along, releasing few rings in time. Use a toothpick dowel to hold the spring while cutting.

IMG_1206.JPEG IMG_1209.JPEG

The results are beautiful rings the same size and most importantly clean cut. This cut is a MUST if we want to archive a nice closed-loop without the much visible gap.

IMG_1212.JPEG IMG_1218.JPEG

Below picture just so you know what size of ringbolts we are making.

IMG_1213.JPEG

Finally, we have to pass the ring through the hole in the eyebolt and carefully close the ring. As you see on the left magnifying picture the gap is not much visible, but we can completely hide it by turning the cut into the eyebolt head (right picture)

IMG_1219.JPEG IMG_1220.JPEG
We are almost done. The next step is to blacken it. We use heat and oil. Using the torch I heat the entire ringbolt and while it is hot put is in the oil. The result is black\metalish look

IMG_1221.JPEG IMG_1223.JPEG

I must mention @janos for the tip using the graphite on guns. I use the graphite rub on top of the ringbolts to made them look truly metallic. But you are only the judges!!!

IMG_1225.JPEG

I hope this will be informative and help you in the future. Many thanks for the interest . Next time we will make ringbolts from brass wire, so stay tuned

Nice work, Jim!
I still prefer the brass wire for being able to solder. After the (hard-) soldering the part goes into a quick vinegar bath which gets rid of every remnant from the soldering. Afterwards it can be blackened without problem. After the blackening it goes into water then I rub the pieces with a cloth. This gets rid of the superfluous blackening remnants and gives the parts a steel-like appearance.
Janos

Very good information, I'll do this work for Blandford's guns, I'll use brass and black with Brass Black.
I will do this job as neatly as possible without soldering.
Until now, I have never soldered anything, so I will spend time learning this work properly.
Regards-

@Y.T. Many thanks for the compliments! Those tools are indeed precession, I bought them a very long time, about 15 years ago. The round nose pliers are made by Lindstrom (Swiss-made). I found what seems to be a good price for the entire set. I am not claiming it is the cheapest, though. For the round nose, I pay around 35.00 dollars...

The flat-nose pliers have no brand name but made in Germany. I bought them in a jewelry store. There is another company that made precision tools - it is Erem (swiss made). They also have a line of various pliers\cutters but really expensive.

http://www.protooltech.com/pdferem.php

Please let me know if you need more information, thanks again :)

Hello Y.T. I have not made any modifications, those pliers came with end tips around 0.7 mm, I have not seen smaller. You can use a drill bit of size 0.5mm to make nice eyebolt. The process is the same, you just need to cut in the right place.

Hello Knut! Many thanks for interest, I am making some pictures of the process and will post second method of making ringbolts from brass wire. I will show the solder I use. In short, it is silver solder paste, it comes pre-mixed with solder and flux. Hopefully i will have time this evening. Stay tuned...

Hi Jim. I am still amazed with perfection of your eyebolts. This inspired me to at least get close to what you do. I realized my tools are not good. They were flexing in the joint. I did a few hits with a marker as shown on the picture. Now these tools became hard to work with. At same time they allowed me to produce much better eyebolts I ever did. Oh. I also modified the tool tips to the way I thought is better. Please look. I used a copper wire. Steel and hardened brass will be much harder to work with. Just to be precise my copper wire was 0.51 mm in diameter.

D23BDA1E-E3EB-4FA8-B9AE-192BF659E9A2.jpeg14959FEA-CA32-4F7C-8DD7-1009AA91748E.jpeg47EFC14B-4C95-4B07-8B9A-53B1EC3351E0.jpeg474CA3ED-F5B1-4BBF-8024-A9B92B79D9CE.jpeg

Last edited:
I don’t know why so many repetitive pictures got copied. I swear I didn’t do it!
.... no worries, I have removed duplicates. :)

Hi Jim. I am still amazed with perfection of your eyebolts. This inspired me to at least get close to what you do. I realized my tools are not good. They were flexing in the joint. I did a few hits with a marker as shown on the picture. Now these tools became hard to work with. At same time they allowed me to produce much better eyebolts I ever did. Oh. I also modified the tool tips to the way I thought is better. Please look. I used a copper wire. Steel and hardened brass will be much harder to
Well, Y.T. I am really impressed and happy, at the same time! :) Very good engineering (I like your modified pliers) and great achievement. Thumbsup Even copper wire required to anneal before bending. I usually anneal all material before use. Heat it until it is orange, let it cool and you will see it is really soft. After that, don't forget to clean with 500 grit sandpaper to remove char. This is required if you will solder the gap in the eye.

I am happy that the tutorial comes handy, preparing the second tutorial using the brass wire... Stay tuned ;)

As promised, we are heading to the second part of the introduction to metalsmith works. Today will be making the ringbolts using the brass wire. The technique and steps are absolutely the same as for the steel wire, but we will use brass wire instead of steel and add something to the mix, we will solder the gaps on both the eyebolt and ring using a propane torch with silver solder paste. :cool:

Generally, brass considering a soft metal. However, there are many types of brass and some of them even harder than steel. Before beginning working with brass (or copper in fact), it is advisable to anneal (soften) it. BTW, since we are working with the wire, do you know the simplest way to straighten it? I am sure you do. That's right - one end you will tight in the vise, another end in the pliers... and gently pool away from the vise. Don't use too much force, you may break it. :oops:
Another reminder is to clean the wire. While it is still in the vise, take sandpaper 500 grit, wrap around the wire and holdi with your fingers, and move... one direction ONLY.

IMG_1232.JPEG IMG_1233.JPEG

The next series of images will be boring to watch as the pretty much the same view but with brass wire. However, I need to practice in Macro photo shooting so I made a decision to create another set, sorry folks. We start forming the eyebolt using the round-nose pliers and 0.50mmø wire.

IMG_1234.JPEG IMG_1235.JPEG IMG_1236.JPEG

IMG_1238.JPEG
Try forming the ring (an eye) from one plier's turn. Brass is softener than steel and plier may leave marks on the wire. The most important point is to minimize the gap at the end of the loop. Take your time, don't rush, move the loop each way, to make sure the eyelet is round and symmetrical. Once happy, move to the next end and form another eyelet.

600_0462.jpg 600_0463.jpg
The next step is to make a ring. We will be using the 0.65mmø (I didn't find 0.60mm) and absolutely the same technique as for the steel wire. Needless to say, I use this method any time I need to make rings. Start forming the spring by wrapping the wire around drill bit 2.00mmø. Once completed, don't forget to anneal to make it soft. This time, I prepared a video.
600_0436.jpg 600_0435.jpg 600_0438.jpg

As a result of this video, we have a bunch of rings ready to assemble and ...that's right, solder.

IMG_1262.JPEG
Tomorrow, we will discuss soldering. Thank you for your interest ;)

Jim, I searched through old tools and found this pliers, the tip of the nose is 1.2mm, and the nose is crooked.
I'm going to try to straighten it so that it becomes strait, then I grind the tips down to 0.8mm, I hope.
tang (1).jpgtang (2).jpg
I bought this yesterday, a little more ready for the solder instruction you come with.
c (4).jpgc (5).jpgc (6).jpg
Now I wait to see what kind of soldering iron you use.
Exciting-

You are certainly prepared for the soldering session. Take look post #14 from our member @Y.T. How he turned his round-nose pliers

https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...oduction-to-metalsmith-works.4501/#post-90021

The tool you have bought we call - The Third Hand, in your case it is even a 'fourth hand'. This tool more used with traditional soldering iron than butane torch. This is because torch flame can damage the stand and tweezers, but careful positioning should help, and yes a magnifying glass will be a real help with small details.

Back