Making Treenails

• Thread starter Aussie048
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
A

Aussie048

I made treenails for one of my builds and decide I would make them just on the deck for my USS Constitution build. I found that making treenails was very time consuming. Splitting Bamboo skewers did not always split nicely with a #11 blade and was time consuming. I know the block looks a bit rough and ready with the drill holes. I do not understand why they called the blade a safety rasor but I guess it was more safe than a cut throat blade.P1010015a.jpg

The issue I had with the block was it was hard to pull the skewer though the hole. Slackening off the wing nuts and feeding on a diagonal slightly worked well.

Attachments

• P1010016a.jpg
    P1010016a.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 122
The next issue I had was that some of the Bamboo was still a bit chunky to go through my Byrnes Draw Plate. I had a scrap of aluminum and drilled out holes larger than than the drawplate down to the largest size of the drawplate.

I probably will remake the jig block and I would probably make the exit holes much larger This jig saved me days of work

The cost of the Byrnes Drawplate was $25 at the time plus postage of $25 and then you add on the conversion rate which is roughly about 75 cents to the US dollar which made this about $62 Australian.

The correct use of the drawplate is to feed from the flat side. If you feed from the the other side where the numbers are ypu will just clog it upP1010017a.jpg

Back