Making Treenails

Wooden treenails.
Quite often models are treenailed with oversized and dark treenails. Deck treenails were typically less than one inch in diameter and then capped so they are just visible even at full size. The inclusion of treenails is a nice touch for most of us but too often the decks and hulls look like they have a case of measles or chicken pox due to the contrast in color and huge size. My own thought is that treenailing with wood is limited to about 1:48 scale or larger. 1:64 is a stretch for the hull and nigh impossible for the decks without it looking unrealistic.

With a few thousand needed for the decks and upwards of 10,000 on the hull, the cost can still be held to a couple dollars/Euros.
Bamboo skewers are strong, cheap, and easy to work.
Skewer.JPG
I slit these into smaller pieces with a scalpel. They vary a bit in size, but can be slit again and again as needed to get to a workable size.
Rough slit pieces.JPG
The next step is the run the slit strips through the largest hole in a draw plate then work down to the next smaller hole and so on until the desired diameter is reached. I have been using a Byrnes plate for about 20 years but there are other brands. A good quality plate is preferred as cheap versions are not always accurate in the progression of the hole diameters.
Drawing slit piece through holes.JPG
The plate I use goes down to 0.016" diameter. The example I show is 0.0175, about right for deck treenails at 1:48 scale.
Finished to 0.0175.JPG

Once the strip is to the size needed I cut them into pieces about 1/4" long so I can handle them with tweezers or small pliers to insert them into the holes.

Finished deck nails about 0.016 inch diameter (0.75" at full scale)
Deck treenailed.JPG

Finished hull treenails which are about o.o3" diameter (1.5" at 1:48)
Hull Treenailed.JPG
Hull Treenailed 2.JPG

Last edited:
Great tutorial. How long do you take sizing down the bamboo to the correct thickness? There are a lot of treenails, and I have found it quite a laborious process.

Thanks Uwe and Clogger

Clogger, I never really timed it but I typically will make a couple hundred at a time and insert them which is a couple hours work as it can get to be monotonous. For 1:48 Hull nails take half the time as I only need to go down to about 0.03 for the hull versus about 0.016 for the deck planks. The gradations on the plate I use can be seen on exit side of the plate below. It goes from 0.059" down to 0.016" (1.5mm-0.4mm) Just as an FYI, I have used other species of wood at times, but I have not had good luck getting them reduced in size as small as I can with bamboo. Even bamboo can be tricky as there are 91 genera within which are over 1,000 species. On the practical side I tried garden stakes and to save a few dollars I cut and dried bamboo from my sister and brother-in-law's back yard. Some worked, some did not. The skewers have never been a problem though and the hull can be done for a few AU$, $US, or Euro.
Allan
Draw plate Byrnes.JPG

Back