Making trucks for your cannon carriages

Jimsky

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Greeting everyone. Today, I will show you a couple of ways to make your own tracks (wheels) for cannon carriages. How many times we saw the tracks supplied with the kit are out of scale, made with plywood, and not perfectly round both outside and inside? Those required some improvements so they are presentable to your cannons. Well...why not make your own, from scratch? There is no way the methods I will show you are the only ones and the best. I am sure you will find other suitable methods, you may like more. What method to use - is your preference. Alright, enough preambles', Jim, show us the methods!

1. Method # 1 Using the round dowels

I think, this method is commonly used by modelers by its simplicity and availability of materials. Ready-made dowels should be widely available in wood stores in a variety of diameters and most commonly used wood species. Some dowels quality are better than others but they should be perfectly round for our purpose. Here I have some dowels stock in basswood, poplar, and cherry. I bought them in the Art store, surprisedly, they have more sizes and timber variety.

IMG_1934(1).jpg

It is worth mentioning that either method will require some power tools. Hopefully, the dowels stock you will plan to use for your trucks is perfectly round. If this is not the case, you will have to round it using a wood-turning lathe (preferably), or regular drill as the turning source.
For the demonstration, the trucks are made from a 6.25mm diameter dowel in this example. First, using a miniature table saw, set up so that the trucks could be cut to the required thickness. The saw blade was used 0.8mm so that the parts would have a clean and sharp edge to them. You may experiment with the blade thickness, otherwise, using the thick blade may cause the trucks to fly when cut, and thus generate the 'kneeling' event on the floor :D

IMG_1935(1).jpg

The next step is to drill a hole in the center of each truck. I make a simple jig, it servers well for all of my methods. It is very simple, hence very convenient for such jobs. Just make sure to position right on the center, otherwise... you know.

IMG_1938(1).jpg IMG_1937(1).jpg

Next..? Well...there is no next! You made your own trucks. Congrats! They will suffice to use as-is. Depending on the color of the carriages you may optionally paint or dye to make them look similar. But look...they look round and sounds. However, in my eyes, they are plain and simple. We will make them more presentable by adding bolts imitation. Be sure to continue reading method #2.

Method #2 is much advanced and required some machinery skills to make the tool. This method was invented by Sergey @bibigon and the first time I saw it, I wanted to try it. It makes the truck and the hole in one shot. Intrigued enough??? Here are some images courtesy of Sergey with the tool and ready trucks made by using this tool.

file(22).jpg file(23).jpg
file(19).jpg PA130098.JPG

So...I have neither skills nor machinery Sergey has but really wanted to make those trucks. So...I tried. The principle is really simple and used in the tool to cut paper circles. The only difference and challenged to make is the cutter, It must be a specific shape to cut thru the wood and not burn it. I start with the jewelry saw blade, It is made of tooling steel and thin enough. I shape and sharpen to cut the wood. Using the aluminum block, I made the tool.

IMG_1928.jpg

...and, the results exceeded all my expectations. In 5 minutes, I was able to make a batch of trucks with identical diameters (inside\outside). Check for yourself...

IMG_1929(1).jpg

However, I quickly realize, that cutter gets hot and burns the edges of the wood. The cutter obviously needs modifications. But the proof of concept works! I contacted Sergey @bibigon and he sketched the cutter. What a brilliant guy! Many, many thanks, Sergey!

1617993766248.png

But first things first. I prepared the timber for the trucks. The same techniques were used when I experiment with trucks for my Alert build. I decided to make trucks in halves.

600_1934.jpg 600_1937.jpg 600_1938.jpg
600_2018.jpg

Then, I made a new tool according to Sergey's diagram. I didn't have an aluminum block, so use a piece of Plexiglas. This does the job pretty well, but in the long run, I will have to make a solid base from brass (similar to Sergey's). Plexiglas base has two holes to accept the cutter: on the left for larger truck, on the right for the smaller. Start by drilling the hole, as you deepen in the wood, it makes the center hole first, then, the cutter touches the surface and will cut the outside the truck. NOTE: if it burns the wood, stop and check the cutter. You will probably need to adjust the shape. IT DOES require specific shape (see the sketch from Sergey)

600_2022.jpg
600_2032.jpg600_2031.jpg
600_2024.jpg600_2036.jpg

As you can see, they are ready for use as is, but I promised you in the first method to make those trucks more presentable, we will imitate bolts. Will use the same drill press and making another jig, thanks to @Maarten idea.

600_2033.jpg
600_2028.jpg 600_2029.jpg

For the bolts, I use Dark Annealed Steel wire by company Hillman, It is very soft and pleasant to work with. First, insert the wire in all 4 holes and cut about 3mm.

600_2047.jpg600_2048.jpg

We Will continue on to the next post (25 images limit for a single post)

Last edited:
continue from the previous post...

Then, I flatten by sanding the tops and rounded using the rotary tool. Here, on the right, you can see I use a copper wire. ;)

600_2050.jpgIMG_1946(1).jpg

I made a small video to depict the rounding process and hope you will have an idea.

...and the final product, the trucks I will use for my Alert build.

600_2042.jpg

Here are the front trucks. Some of them are darker colors, I experimented with oil. Of cause, I use Linseed oil, you guessed it right! :p

600_2043.jpg

and the rear trucks.

600_2044.jpg

The tools I made and used.

600_2037.jpg

Just to have an idea of what you can do with your trucks, should you choose to accept it... on the bellow image, top left is @ Maarten style, which he uses on his Alert build

600_2040.jpg

Well...that's it, folks. I hope this was informative and you will find it useful. If you have any questions, please let me know... Thank you!!

Then, I flatten by sanding the tops and rounded using the rotary tool. Here, on the right, you can see I use a copper wire. ;)

View attachment 226159View attachment 226160

I made a small video to depict the rounding process and hope you will have an idea.

View attachment 226161

Here are the front trucks. Some of them are darker colors, I experimented with oil. Of cause, I use Linseed oil, you guessed it right! :p

View attachment 226162

and the rear trucks.

View attachment 226163

View attachment 226164

Just to have an idea of what you can do with your trucks, should you choose to accept it... on the bellow image, top left is @ Maarten style, which he uses on his Alert build

View attachment 226165

Well...that's it, folks. I hope this was informative and you will find it useful. If you have any questions, please let me know... Thank you!!

Hi Jimsky
I always use lathe for the wheels in order to shape them and center the holes. Now I have another way to do it.
Thanks for sharing and yes I found it usefull and informative.
Best Regards
Bilal

Love the Bibigon wheel tool, maybe an idea to make it adjustable for drilling different wheel sizes.
Thanks, Maarten! I love this tool as well. I am trying to implement something, but it is very hard without machinery tooling. ;) The most difficult part to make is the cutter. It must be specific in shape in order to cut the wood and not burn it. I made them from broken drill bits. However, if you closely look at the tool Sergey made, it is designed for 6 (most common scale sizes) e.g. 4, 5, 6, 7, 8mm.

View attachment 226159View attachment 226160

View attachment 226161

View attachment 226162

and the rear trucks.

View attachment 226163

View attachment 226164

View attachment 226165

Thanks Jimsky, a very practical and easy way to enhance a good model.

A very informative tutorial
and the result of the wheels is extremely good - Great appearance
Are you accepting orders? ;)

A very informative tutorial
and the result of the wheels is extremely good - Great appearance
Are you accepting orders? ;)
Thanks, Mon Ami. I like the results as well, but the tool needs major modifications, without the machinery is it difficult to achieve. Another challenge is a cutting piece, must have a specific shape to cut and not burn the wood. But...I am not giving up and looking for possibilities to make one.

It look like this drill
Link

The shape of the cutting piece looks like the shape of a tooth of a circular saw

The shape of the cutting piece looks like the shape of a tooth of a circular saw
Thank you, Stephan! Yes, it is the same concept, but the cutter must be shaped differently otherwice, it will burn the wood. I like the idea of making this similar, so one tool can make different sizes of the trucks.

Back