Mamoli Black Prince to the "Lady Kathrine" 1:57 Kit Bash

Hello my friends,
I have a little time tonight to let you all know that I will be re-doing my Black Prince from Mamoli. I built her per the plans about 13yrs ago. I was not a novice back then. I was the blind leading the blind novice. Well when we built our new home about 10 yrs ago it was never seen again, until now. I found it in my shed. I had thought I had chucked it in the trash years ago.
Right then n there I made it right, because when I did find it I chucked it in the trash can next to my shed. I was going to though some other stuff on top of it that wood of crushed it, but I realized it was my birthday gift given to me from my wife.
I decided right then n there I could not do it. So I pulled it out of the trash can and here we are the both of us. Me n my Black Prince.
Well with the help of Russ n John(Jim Lad) I find out that the Black Prince was a Sloop not a Schooner. With suggestions from Russ I purchased Chapelle's Book Search for Speed. So now I will be converting my Black Prince to a 1812 schooner renamed, but of course...."KATHRINE". my lovely wives name.

IMG_0641.JPGIMG_0642.JPGIMG_0646.JPGIMG_0643.JPGIMG_0644.JPGIMG_0647.JPGIMG_0648A.jpgIMG_0647B.jpgIMG_0648.JPGIMG_0648B.jpgIMG_0653.JPGIMG_0654.JPGIMG_0655.JPG

We were all novices at one time and I have ships made a long time ago that people still think is great. Just completing a kit is a great accomplishment. Remember that less than half of all kits bought are never completed.

I think your ship looks really good,I am looking forward to your conversion.

Zoltan

Many thanks for showing us Kathrine. She is a beauty! It is very good built and you made a very good model out of the kit (which is not the best one as I know). Looks good on the yard.
BTW: your deck planking is realy looking very realistic for such kind of „working boat“. Can you remember how you did it?

Thanks Gentleman!

Uwe

I guessing you know these kits their version of basswood is limewood. The deck is limewood. I took a sharp number 2 soft lead pencil. Then i ran it along the edge of the wood. Not the point but the side of the lead to the side of the wood. A sharp point because it seemed to leave too much pencil mark if it was not sharp. After the deck was sone i took pencil eraser and did a small clean up where necessary. You took much lead. Once done i lightly sanded and with a wide paint brush i used Dutch oil on the deck. I used a brush to control how much oil used. Thin coats of oil. Stop when you think it looks good. wipe off excess and let stand for two days before another coat. Hope this helps.

Back