Mamoli Flying Cloud

Starting on the Flying Cloud. I completed a few things waiting on a reply from the vendor. BTW, after checking with Dusek, the build steps were mis-numbered. There is no step13 in the instructions. So, instead of 17 steps, there are 16...

Started chamfering the bulkheads today..

Pic 1.jpg

I am very happy that you started this log - the Flying Cloud is a very interesting kit

Starting on the Flying Cloud. I completed a few things waiting on a reply from the vendor. BTW, after checking with Dusek, the build steps were mis-numbered. There is no step13 in the instructions. So, instead of 17 steps, there are 16...

Started chamfering the bulkheads today..
Hallo @Bhill
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Second planking done and waterline scribed. Kind of a shame to cover up the wood, but per the tome I am reading that was the company colors. And onto the coppering. Per the book and they used 4ft sheets and at this scale works out to .5 inches per plate. Forceps and a ton of patience and steady hands.

20221023_081344.jpg

20221023_081351.jpg

20221023_082807.jpg

Well, port side done. This is not the "funnest" part of building...I rememembed why I did not want to go into the roofing business. One summer I worked with my dad who was a Journeyman carpenter doing a shake roof...and promised to never do that again. Laying copper sheets is just like roofing an upside down house...20221204_154053.jpg

What did you use to make the nail patterns on your copper?

I have seen several methods, many depend on scale of ship as to how effective they look in the end.

Back