Mamoli Kits - a positive re-assessment

In the past I have been pretty cranky and critical of Mamoli kits due to personal experience with them. (Albeit I'm on my third because they were the only kits available of what I wanted to build in the scale I wanted to build it.)
As a member of the Washington Ship Model Society, I had the opportunity at our monthly meeting recently to see and assess some of Mamoli/Dusek's latest offerings: A 1;64 scale Beagle, a mini- Mamoli Beagle, and a Constitution model new and fresh in the box.
With the mini-Mamoli the individual had finished carving and preparing the hull with very nice results. The plans and parts supplied looked ample, well executed and very nice. So much so that I am entertaining investigating what else they have to offer as I like the miniature scale and not having to start from scratch.
Although I did not take a deep dive into the "Connie" POB kit It too looked very well supplied and executed with nice brass, laser-cut and cast parts in abundance with very good materials, hardwoods, model-maker's plywood and an abundance of strip woods in a variety of species. The kit looked like an ample offering and very enticing.
The same gentleman was also well into a Mamoli Constitution cross-section model which was proceeding very nicely and he offered no complaints whatever.
Another modeler was well into a 1/46 scale "Beagle" POB model. It too was well along, the hull nearly complete. His first planking was so successful that a second planking would be icing on the cake. The first could have been stained, sealed, finished and displayed successfully as is. I believe the kit may even have been an older offering.
It looked to me, that with the more current offerings, that Dusek is perhaps slowly, but surely, addressing issues in updating their kits and offerings much to their benefit and credit. As I said, I am intrigued by, and interested in the Mini-Mamoli kits and will venture to see what they have to offer. I have not delved into, nor can I make any comment as to price. But they do appear to be offering a pretty good bang for the buck. I can't speak to their instrucions and plans. but the people at the meeting building these kits offered no complaints whatever in any aspect of their projects thus far. As always, "caveat emptor". I was, however, pleasantly surprised and pleased with what I saw.

Pete Gutterman

Last edited:
Back