Mantua Golden Star 1:150 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Don't like the planking embossed on the parts. Will use my own planking. There's even planking embossed pieces to glue on the side on the keel and rudder. Don't know what I'll do here, but definitely not using these.
IMG_1784.JPG

Another problem (for me anyway.) The plank embossed piece is glued to the keel. The hull bow and stern planking ends before they reach the bow and stern. The embossed planking takes over for the hull planks. I definitely don't care for this. Thoughts appreciated.IMG_1798.JPGIMG_1799.JPG

Many Thanks for starting this building log ...... we will follow and try to help when necessary

Noticed the bulkhead with the arrow was too long. Per the drawing it should be the length I have marked. Will cut it off and taper the bulkhead to the keel as it should have been. IMG_1800.JPGIMG_1802.JPG

Per the directions one is suppose to glue these two long pieces on the bulkheads (through the slots in each bulkhead), then glue them all to the keel. The pieces are very movable in this situation. I am not glueing the bulkheads this way.

IMG_1803.JPG

I will glue the bulkheads to the keel first. Then insert and glue in the two long pieces. Problem here is one can't fit the long pieces in with the bulkheads glued to the keel. I will cut the two long pieces in half lengthwise, then I can fit them in the bulkheads. Then glue a scrap piece to each long piece to hold them as one piece again.

IMG_1804.JPG

Bulkheads installed. Everything looks square. I see why the manufacturer wanted the long strips glued to the bulkheads first. It was very hard to fit in the first and last angled bulkheads.IMG_1806.JPG

I'm going with one of these two options... Thoughts appreciated...

Put a traditional stern on, like this...
IMG_1807.JPG

Or, follow the diagram curve, like this and cut a rabbit.
IMG_1812.JPG

Just had another thought. The keel is fairly thin. I could reverse the piece glued to the keel and and plank the stern per the kit instructions. Then just stain the glued piece to represent the keel without the planking. Believe I like this the best!!

IMG_1813.JPG

Back