Mantua Golden Star 1:150 [COMPLETED BUILD]

The planking above the deck has no support. I'm wondering about how to keep the planks in place when mounting them? Any suggestions?

IMG_1831.JPG

The top planking is in place. There is no support inside for a lot of this upper planking. Will start planking the lower part of the hull now.

IMG_1841.JPG
IMG_1842.JPG

You are right Paul. They are pretty flexible. There's nothing on the model to hold them, except a layer of walnut on the outer and inner hull over the 1st planking. There is a top rail which will stiffen them, but I won't put these on until I planked the 2nd layer on the outside. Maybe I'll stop planking the hull for a day or two and trim these down lower where they should be and then add the walnut planking on the inside.

Actually, I wish I hadn't decided to build this kit. I found a set of written directions online for the ship, but they don't really fit this ship. The directions have the same Mantua model # Art 769, but it's single planked and other things are different. The included photos in the build booklet and the printed diagrams that came with the kit are different in some places. I'm just kind of winging it as I go. Was thinking about trashing the hull and use the wood somewhere else. But, decided to finish the build. Think I may make it rough looking - like a pirate ship. Don't know yet.

I think a modeler could put their money to better use on another ship.

I cut the 1st planking down to correct level above the decks.
IMG_1844.JPG
I've decded to make this a 'rough' looking model. So I removed my own decking I had previously installed.
IMG_1845.JPG
Will now install the walnut strips inside the hull on the 1st layer of planking.
IMG_1847.JPG

My 2nd build (since 1984) Mantua Golden Star. The sails are not included in the kit. Images of the full size sails are on the diagram sheet. Don't know yet if will do full or furled.
View attachment 305784
Hi I’m afraid I listened to the voices in my head and bought this kit as well , got it for a silly price on eBay £35 part started, I’ve got enough kits to do as long as I live to 120 I’m 65 now

That's funny! I'm in the same situation. 74 and a lot of kits. They were on sale for a good price and I couldn't resist. As the comedian Ron White said, "I Had the Right to Remain Silent...But I Didn't Have the Ability."

I drew my own planking lines on the bow. I wouldn't normally do this but I'm bending the planking to where I want them to go vs where they want to go. I don't want to plank the hull the way the kit shows it. I'll attach an image below of the kit directions.
IMG_1863.JPGIMG_1868.JPG

This is how to kit wants the hull planked.
IMG_1795.JPG

Got the hull 2/3 planked on 2nd planking and now out of walnut planks. I have 2 planks left. Thought I could rip some from my walnut wood, but my wood quality is SO much better than the kit walnut. Even with stain, I can't come close to matching the woods. Don't know what to do now? Make a viking boat out of it? Put it on the lake and set it on fire?
IMG_1870.JPGthe lake and set it on fire?

Back