Mantua Golden Star 1:150 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Looks like we are back in business!! I found another piece of walnut and ripped some 1x3mm strips. There's 7 planks in the image. The middle plank is the kit plank. The other 3 on each side are my planks. Will likely apply a dark walnut stain to entire hull.

IMG_1875.JPG

Still working on hull. I cut my own strips from Poplar wood for the wales as the kits strips were different colors of wood. I also cut a couple strips of Teak wood from a 3/4" board. Going to rip some small strips to try out for decking. I have some other woods to use if I don't like the Teak.

IMG_1889.JPGIMG_1890.JPG

I am now cutting the top rails to the bulwarks from Popular wood. The kits rails are plywood and I prefer solid wood.

IMG_1891.JPG

Last edited:
Still working on hull. I cut my own strips from Popular wood for the wales as the kits strips were different colors of wood. I also cut a couple strips of Teak wood from a 3/4" board. Going to rip some small strips to try out for decking. I have some other woods to use if I don't like the Teak.

View attachment 312016View attachment 312017

I am now cutting the top rails to the bulwarks from Popular wood. The kits rails are plywood and I prefer solid wood.

View attachment 312023
Good afternoon. Looking really good. The planking is lovely. Cheers Grant

First attempt. I glued black construction paper to the teak and applied a clear matt finish. Caulk lines a little thick, but the planks are small. 2.5mm. Think I'll use this. Using this ship to try out new things anyway.
IMG_1908.JPGIMG_1910.JPGIMG_1912.JPG

Last edited:
First attempt. I glued black construction paper to the teak and applied a clear matt finish. Caulk lines a little thick, but the planks are small. 2.5mm. Think I'll use this. Using this ship to try out new things anyway.
View attachment 312424View attachment 312436View attachment 312440
Good morning. The caulking effect is good and defined. Looking great on the small deck. I dont know this ship at all however I wonder if the caulking may be “too” much across the whole deck. It does looks freaking good tho. Cheers Grant

Ian. I had sent the info to your acct here on SOS. You had already replied and said you were going to buy another lathe. I don't have any additional info.

Ha! No. Made myself a cup of coffee. I decided to clean up my work area today rather than try to work on the ship. I don't care much for the original parts to the ship. I'm making my own pieces. Now I'm thinking I should have just done a 'scratch' build as that's pretty much what I am doing anyway. Hoping to keep working on this ship long enough each day to get it built. I've had the ZHL Black Pearl (All-Scenario Version) for quite a while now and want to start working on it.

Back