Mantua Plank Bender

C08F43A3-CD0F-41EA-A4FB-E430A6885364.jpeg

OK. What's the secret using this little gadget. I've soaked several 2mm X 3mm planks in very hot water for various times. I can't get them to feed through the unit let alone bend them.

Jan

View attachment 131654

OK. What's the secret using this little gadget. I've soaked several 2mm X 3mm planks in very hot water for various times. I can't get them to feed through the unit let alone bend them.

Jan
Once I bought it also and tried it - I was absolutely not happy with the result and stored it somewhere never touching it again - sorry I can not tell you how it is working and if this is working .....

I've had excellent luck with the Model Shipways electric plank bender. The mechanical crimping too many people use didn't appeal to me, because I didn't want to risk making facets in the overall curve of the plank by accident. The crimps also leave you with less thickness for sanding. With heating iron, you soak the planks in warm water for 20 minutes, and the steam produced on contact with the iron plasticizes the lignum on the wood, making it pliable until it cools. With practice, you won't singe the wood and make beautifully curved planks.

Model Shipways Electric Plank Bender

I've had excellent luck with the Model Shipways electric plank bender. The mechanical crimping too many people use didn't appeal to me, because I didn't want to risk making facets in the overall curve of the plank by accident. The crimps also leave you with less thickness for sanding. With heating iron, you soak the planks in warm water for 20 minutes, and the steam produced on contact with the iron plasticizes the lignum on the wood, making it pliable until it cools. With practice, you won't singe the wood and make beautifully curved planks.

Model Shipways Electric Plank Bender
Ive tried different methods to bend planks. I'm still at the novice stage in wooden ship building, so everything I experiment with is a learning experience. The Mantua Bender was a gift from a friend, without any instructions it was a failed experiment. But I looked at it this afternoon and had the "Eureka" moment. I was trying to get the planks to bend up around the big knob roller, instead of feeding the plank through the two bottom rollers.

622972F5-B832-46E8-B294-8EDD3B057373_1_201_a.jpeg

the top piece is a piece of 1.5 X 5mm Birch, the bottom piece is a piece of 1.5 X 3mm Mahogany.

Jan

Final Conclusions:

I managed to run some more planking strips through the little machine. I find it difficult to set up no matter the thickness of the planks. The planks to be bend need to be wet and very pliable. Inside or outside curves can be done but all leave the same marks on the plank being bend.

D9637FE4-4EA7-43E1-86E3-954FB10EC4D0.jpeg

I've no idea what the cost of the unit is, but I wouldn't buy one.

Jan

Hi Jan I would not buy one either, what i use is a REMINGTON HAIR CURLER, after some hot water soaking and then use the hair curler, works well for me, sometimes it takes more then one application of hot water and the curler, i got it a few years ago from amazon. HOPE THIS HELPS Don

View attachment 131654

Jan
Leaves very noticeable marks (though not as bad as the blade crimping version. Both consigned to the bin in utter disgust) There's no substitute for proper bending.

I think the idea is that you decide the degree of curve and then feed the plank into the machine at the level you want, turning the knob at the top to get the rollers engaged. However, it never works because the tension can't be adjusted in my experience. The other issue with wet bending is that you will sometimes get shrinkage which can affect your planking plan. I use an electric plank bender--it's easier and more versatile. If you are building more than one ship, the cost becomes minimal over time.

It might be that this bender is only intended for the thickness of the second planking which is (what) about .5 mm. Before giving up, I would look at the bottom of the unit to see if the Main wheel knob can be adjusted. There has to be a nut on the bottom with a type of slot to be able to adjust the pressure and also various thicknesses of wood. If not the main knob, then perhaps the other wheels have a nut on the bottom that can be adjusted.
I looked this item up on Mantua's site and unfortunatly no manual or instructions that I can see.

Last edited:
Multi language instructions for the Plank Bender. Note the thumb screw underneath to adjust width of wood. I find the best method is to adjust the main dial on a piece of dry wood before sending wet wood through. If bent correctly the grooves (if any) are on the inside of the bend. Happy bending??!!
JohnK

Plank Bender 1.jpgPlank Bender 2.jpg

Multi language instructions for the Plank Bender. Note the thumb screw underneath to adjust width of wood. I find the best method is to adjust the main dial on a piece of dry wood before sending wet wood through. If bent correctly the grooves (if any) are on the inside of the bend. Happy bending??!!

JohnK
I’ve tried different types woods of various thicknesses as well as adjusting the top wheel to get a “good bite” on planks to be bend. The success rate has been about 50%, I had more success with thinner plank material.

I see by the instructions that strips of up to 3mm can be bend. I’ve tried scraps of 2mm to 3mm without much success, even after soaking some of the overnight. Mostly those thicknesses will not feed through the second wheel to start the bend without a lot of prodding and adjustments of the position of large wheel.

I‘ve had better success using my homemade jigs and a large soldering iron. (To keep domestic tranquility I’ve not tried the Admirals curling iron).

My original opinion hasn’t changed, if it works for those who have one, ”GREAT”, would I recommend it, “NO”.

Jan

View attachment 131654

Jan
PVC pipe and tubing is inexpensive and with wetting and sometimes with steam, you can get good results. When the wooden planks are wet and pliable, they can be manually curved around the PVC pipe.

It might be that this bender is only intended for the thickness of the second planking which is (what) about .5 mm. Before giving up, I would look at the bottom of the unit to see if the Main wheel knob can be adjusted. There has to be a nut on the bottom with a type of slot to be able to adjust the pressure and also various thicknesses of wood. If not the main knob, then perhaps the other wheels have a nut on the bottom that can be adjusted.
I looked this item up on Mantua's site and unfortunatly no manual or instructions that I can see.
Either way Donnie it leaves marks and, more to the point, it's completely unnecessary. There's no difficulty in normal bending, it's only lateral bending that's problematical. However, I had to spend my money didn't I? Same as all hobbies, traps for the unwary!!

Bob,
sorry that the product ran foul on you. I think all of us, including me, have bought widgets and things that did not turn out as advertised.

View attachment 131654

Jan
Surprised to see so many negative reports. Just finished second planking Caldercraft Mary Rose. I used full length strips for second planks - I think it looks much better than attempting ‘authentic’ plank lengths.

I soaked the strips for 30-40 mins in cold water (longer and the walnut split lengthways). The bender needs to be adjusted so that the ‘nip’ is just enough to feed the strip through both rollers. Start at the top (big roller) - I only needed to go to the second level for the tightest bends.

I let the strips dry for at least a couple of hours (best overnight) and used the blade bender for the tightest bends into the rabbet at the stem.

I would certainly use it again.

Alan

Hi all,
I have one, to make it work I use boiling water and soak the planks until the water is just warm.
You have to start the plank past the end (see the third photo in the instructions above, then adjust the wheel with the knob in until it is tight on the plank (not too tight or it will leave ruts). Go slow or the wood will break. Also there is some waste with this since you have to start the plank past the end. The biggest issue I have had is the planks getting thinner as you do this so take that into account when doing the really sharp bends.
-CMM2000-

Back