Maritime Hall in San Martino Museum, Naples

Do you the name and time or period of the ship?
So we can make some research......

Do you the name and time or period of the ship?
So we can make some research......

For the smaller model in the center the caption says it's a model of a typical French Sane 18-pounder frigate, built under the French control.

The larger model certainly belongs to the same period (~1800), and may very well be simply a larger version of the same design with more complete upperworks, but unfortunately it was not photographed in whole.

So I posted this in hope that somebody visits the place occasionally :)

Maybe this is helping, what I found out until now

The frigate in the center of the photo had a very intense history

Jean-Francois Lafosse designed in 1798 the La Guerriere (38guns 18pdr)

1720091481413.png

The La Guerrière, a 38 gunner, launched in 1799, was a purpose build, and later on captured by the british HMS Blanche in 1806

Screenshot 2024-07-04 131307.png

and renamed HMS Guerriere -

Screenshot 2024-07-04 131719.png

and finally in 1812 captured by the USS Constitution

Screenshot 2024-07-04 132418.png

These are the paintings of the HMS Guerriere available in NMM - unfortunately I did not find a drawing of the ship

The ship model on the left could be:

Also build by Lafosse in Naples, designed by Sane and launched in Naples was the 44 gun french Pallas-class frigate 'La Carolina' (1811)

Screenshot 2024-07-04 133905.png

which was later on renamed to Neapolitan Fifth Rate frigate 'Carolona' (1813) - renamed to Amalia (1815) and once more to Caracciolo (1861)

Screenshot 2024-07-04 134035.png

A sistership La Clorinde was captured and re-measured

Clorinde.jpg

This and other drawings you can find here

Thanks, @Uwek , but that's not exactly what interests me here (and I am very well aware of the RMG collection and threedecks.org :) )

I am less after the identity of the ship the model could depict, but the model itself.

The model shows, for example, a rarely depicted enclosed bow. Was it a Neapolitan interpretation? French?

How the rest of it looks like? How it is constructed? Is it an identifiable ship or a project? All this is impossible to answer if you can't see the rest of the object.

P.S. Concerning the Guerriere. There is definitely some confusion here, because Guerriere was not a Sane-derived design. She was based on Forfait's fregates-bombardes, but lengthened and would probably be closer to Furieuse. Anyway, it's very difficult to say what is the shape of the frames of the central model from a single photo, but as far as I can see it is closer to classical Sane form with pronounced turn of the bilge.

1720097181402.png

In any case, the central model is probably closer to Clorinde, but it doesn't mean anything. It was one of the most numerous and standard designs of the time. And it is absolutely possible the two models depict the same design in different scales and different finish level. What I am after are photos of those models.

Last edited:
Back