Marking Sails for Seam Sewing

When I finished marking off the canvas panels on the fabric for my Bluenose sails, a seamstress gave me the recommendation to next time not use a graphite pencil in drawing the sewing lines as the graphite may be hard to remove later. She recommended and demonstrated using this Fabric Marking Pen.jpgFriXion marking pen, a PIlot type, which provides a line tht is easy to see and with a warm iron totally is removed. You can see the lines and then ironed gone below the pen. It may be available in other colors but I have not checked. I wish that I had know of this before hand and highly recommend the use. Rich (PT-2)

When I finished marking off the canvas panels on the fabric for my Bluenose sails, a seamstress gave me the recommendation to next time not use a graphite pencil in drawing the sewing lines as the graphite may be hard to remove later. She recommended and demonstrated using this View attachment 235466FriXion marking pen, a PIlot type, which provides a line tht is easy to see and with a warm iron totally is removed. You can see the lines and then ironed gone below the pen. It may be available in other colors but I have not checked. I wish that I had know of this before hand and highly recommend the use. Rich (PT-2)
Thanks for the tip. Will come in handy when I get to the sails on my Britannia.

Thanks for the tip. Will come in handy when I get to the sails on my Britannia.
I will in the near future put up a series of phots and short text showing the method that I am using on my BN MS2130. It will not include the final steps of shaping the sails though as I am not going to do that for some time when they are all bent and spars stepped with running rigging mostly in place.
Rich

Wow Rich,
you have been a member for almost 12 months and you have almost overtaken me in your post count. ( not that it matters )

Glad to see this forum is a place you feel good being associated with. :)

Wow Rich,
you have been a member for almost 12 months and you have almost overtaken me in your post count. ( not that it matters )

G'day Brian, your like me, too many iron's in the fire and you don't know which to take out first, hope all is OK with you,
Best regards John,

Wow Rich,

Some people just don't know when to sit back in the foc'sl and keep quiet it seems. . . . I enjoy the conversations as this is my format replacement for Facebook which I do not engage or feel that I need to share my life and snoop into others. Rich

I will in the near future put up a series of phots and short text showing the method that I am using on my BN MS2130. It will not include the final steps of shaping the sails though as I am not going to do that for some time when they are all bent and spars stepped with running rigging mostly in place.
Rich
Here is the series of steps that I use in making sails for the BN2130. These of the Jib are the smallest on the model and a good starting/learning point for me to progress to the larger/longer edges of the main and for sails. I hope that I can get these in order as I am not sure how to shuffle the deck if one is out of sequence.
First are the lines drawn from the sail plan which was the stbd view of both the canvas panel sewing guide lines and those of the edges for the cut, fold, and hem linesStbd side cut and fold lines.jpg
Then using a fresh razor blade for clean cut with a metal straight edge and the fabric weighted in place I begin the first edge cutFabric Cut Edge.jpg
As the hem need to be on the port side, I use the marker pen which I trimmed the felt tip at an angle for a fine line to transfer the hem edge to the port (opposite) side of the cloth.Fabric Marking Pen.jpgFabric Marking Pen.jpg
This is the pen and as are wider lines before I made the angle cut and now on to the port/back side where I moisten the fabric with water beside the metal straight edgeWater moisted cut edge before first fold.jpgWater moisted cut edge before first fold.jpg
After a few minutes as the fabric moistens I use a pallet knife to gently lift the fabric up an slide a thin metal edge (back of a ruler upwards) sliding it under the fabric which will be folded up 90 degreesMoistened fabric edge to lift up for 90 deg fold.jpg
Then placing the edge of a drafting triangle beneath the ruler I transfer the fabric onto the triangle edge in preparation to push the triangle against the metal edge folding the fabric upwards to 90 degrees 90 degree upward fold held with triangle against straight edge.jpg
Secure things in place to let the fabric take the fold for some time before proceeding to open things up Folded 90 deg edge upwards before hem fold.jpg
then beginning to fold this over I secure it as I go with another metal blade (back of a long sanding blade) to hold the "hem" fold which is then weighted down and allowed to set. The objective here is to have an edge that is as close in thickness as I can produce to the scale of the model and sail itself. Rolle and sewn hems are too thick and out of scale for my 1:64 schooner.Folded edge weighted down to set hem fold.jpg
When all of the sail edges have been brought to this stage I use a cloth elastic cord from a name cord and some alligator clips to grasp and pull tension the two ends of the edge that I need to sew the bolt rope onto.Tension on sail and bolt rope for sewing.jpg
And now with my head magnifier and LED I begin to sew the bolt rope cord, through it and come back up from the underside over and over. Eyes are formed at the corners by taking care to be sure that the rotation is coordinated with the twist of the line. If it is not in the right direction the fibers in that line will open up! A small touch of CA secures my starting and ending points of the sewing. Corner blocks and links are added afterwards and then the reef lines sewn through on those double sewn cross lines. Not sure yet but I may delay the reef lines until after I moisten and set a "full sail" curvature to the sails so as to net get them messed up but hanging downwards neatly . . . or possibly blown a bit aft if the tack into the wind.

Your models and sails may likely take you on a different tack but this is how I am progressing with the BN schooner and first attempt at making sails, realizing that these are in the order of 16" x 18" in size for the main. My pier remains open for any and all suggestions or recommendations for sails of this order.
Rich (PT-2)

Thanks for taking the time to write a lovely tutorial Rich.
My only problem is trying to remember your tips!!

Cheers,
Stephen.
One thing that I did not mention is that it is easier to make the hem fold when it is parallel with the threads of the fabric but is not as easy to maintain a straight edge when it is at an angle to the fabric threads.
Next, is the addition of the hanks on the luff of the sail that attach it to the stay. I wrap a 24 ga. (enameled black) copper wire around a 2 mm brass tube many times and then when removed cut them apart. The following photo shows the hand tools that I use to make the evenly spaced holes through the hemmed edge and then "thread" the opened wire ring through and close it off. This gives me the line of hanks that I will thread the stay through before making the final connection and tension it at the lower end. I like to have as many rigging lines attached high up and then do the final active hand work down by the hull. Either end could work. . . just my preference. I use additional lines at the top of the masts/spars to stabilize them in place which doing that rigging work.
JIb Stay Hanks.jpg
Kit supplied split rings would work if at the small scale but I wanted to do my own.
Rich

Thanks good tip
I previously posted a method of tying the mast hoops through the sail luff edge holding them on temporary dowel. That done can be seen in the next photo where I swapped out the dowel for a string so that the sail is flexible for my attaching the reefing lanyards through the sail on every sail panel sewn line and in the middle of the two reefing sewing lines of stitches.
Punch a hole, use precut lanyards with a needle through the hole and using CA a small dot on each side securing the reefing lanyard.
Over and over and over . . . . Just my approach which requires frequent pauses before again resuming the task.
Followng this will be bending the sail onto the boom and gaff for both the fore and main sails. Main Sai Reefing Lines in progress.jpg Rich (PT-2)

This is also a good selection. I did it last time when making these reefing to knot them on both sides like discribes in the old books. They keep going to all sides and need to be glued anyway. Your way looks far more better.

Back