Marmara Trade Boat, 1:48 , SC brand [COMPLETED BUILD]

Much better Daniel, You dah man!!

Thank you !!! I saw that mistake yesterday and I couldn't belive how stupid I was that I forgot about how rudder hinges goes plus (this is the worst) I did the job without checking the plan drawings.

When you pointed the mistake today my answer was "I'll live with it". But I was trying to convince myself about not correcting the mistake due to the hull paint job.

Of course.... I was not prepared to live with that mistake.

Went to the shop and slowly I was able to pop out the hinge.....together with the hull paint underneath. Repainted that section, sanded, painted again and sealed with poly. Went very well, just add very little to the distressed look of the hull. I was ready to paint the full hull again. But there wasn't a need.

Now that was the best I could come.

With that..... YES !!! I can live.

Now I need to add all the nails for its final look.

Cheers
Daniel

how stupid

Buddy, you want stupid? I'll come clean. So the tiny Nina Im building, Im working cramped at the kitchen table, get to planking, get it all planked up and THEN I realized I was supposed to have a curve at the transom pushing out and up. Ooops, Im surely not planking all over again so this little mistake will be forever known as Nina with the flat butt.

Yet, key word being yet... As you gain experience you will tread into scratch building waters some. Its fun, and if you mess up you still have the kit parts :)

My first 2 ships were scratch building. 30 plus year ago. Very few tools. From plans.

The first was the Swift from AL. They added the plans to a Spanish Magazine about "Modeling". Over a couple of years they were telling you how to build it from the plans.

With very few tools and 2 newborns in a very small apartment I did it. From cutting the bulkheads to.... all the rest.

Then I got the plans for another one and did it too. A similar ship to the Swift.

Later, I was able to buy a few kits from Europe. Of course Artesania Latina. I finished 1 kit and 3 kits half built from that time.

Then I had to stop for almost 20 years. And here I am now.

All this doesn't meant I have experience. You have seen my hundred questions and hundred mistakes at SoS .

That's me my modeler friend.

YES !!! one day could be I try again a scratch built. But for now I have accumulated kits for the next 10 years..... at least or more..... Ha Ha ha :)

Cheers
Daniel

Last edited:
Daniel, the Marmara really looks stunning. I have been inundated with work the last week so I didn't have much time to reply properly. I think you have captured the overall effect of this ship beautifully and am very glad that you decided to correct the pintles and gudgeons on the rudder. I think that makes you a far more satisfied and happy modeller. Best of luck with the rest of the build.

Treated deck wood and surrounding with Tungs Oil. Added a few details in the deck and 32 nails to the hinges. :)

This is how it looks now. Now I will start to add small details so the pictures do not looks so empty. I will be doing that in the following days. Posting(s) will be slower. :)

20200902_091608.jpg20200902_091921.jpg20200902_162734.jpg20200902_162819.jpg20200902_163156.jpg20200902_163323.jpg20200902_163550.jpg20200902_163634.jpg

Hi

Finished some crates. Still have like 4 more of those different sizes. But for now I will wait to do more. Painted a couple of barrels that were leftover of another kit. I still have to assemble the ones provided with the kit. Also added a few small things all around that will be difficult to identify unless you check a previous picture. And did the anchor to :)

20200904_183756.jpg20200904_184211.jpg20200904_184217.jpg20200904_184242.jpg20200904_184305.jpg

That's all for now.

Cheers
Daniel

Beautiful Daniel! Okay You have created a most realistic working atmosphere below deck - exactly how it should look on a trade carrier! Well done Sir!

Really wonderful! The hull of the model is only about 30cm long, correct?

Thank you !!!

From the rudder till the tip of the keel at the bow 35 cm . Add 10-11 cm more with the mast at the bow.

You want to see pictures of a beautiful finished Marmara.... check this posting at eBay. I saved the pictures to use them as inspiration.

Cheers
Daniel

Back