Marmara Trade Boat (ZHL Model) 1/48

Hello everyone. My name is Elmir and this is my first topic on this forum. In past few years I was more in plastic modeling but I really really love wooden ships soooo let's try to make something :) Before plastic models I made two boats/ships on some amateurish level from scratch but I lack of space and I'm in apartment so dust/saw and wood cuts are problem specially with two kids.

This is my first wooden kit and my full inspiration comes from finished build log from this forum and great work by mr. Daniel (Dematosdg). That's why I bought it in first place and will try to build it!

I will not talk about kit because there is full finished build log. So far I assembled building jig and keel. Not sure what kind of tempo we should expect. I have lot of work and kids and other hobbies as well :D

Sooo it begins :) Cheers and thank you
Elmir

0001.png0002.png0003.png0004.png0005.png0006.png0007.png

Last edited:
Nice start.... if you have any question do not hesitate on posting it. Members will help you. I am very happy to know that my built is helpful.

To avoid confusion, ZHL is a seller of this kit. The kit was designed by
Shicheng Model (SC Model Co., Ltd.; Hangzhou)

Thread 'Marmara Trade Boat, 1:48 SC Models' https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/marmara-trade-boat-1-48-sc-models.4458/

Best !!!
Daniel

Last edited:
Very good! I am very happy to see a building log of this model kit - it is very interesting for me and I will follow your log with big interest.
BTW: A very good start with the log Thumbsup

it's looks very nice beginning, I will continue to follow with great curiosity. good luck, Elmir Thumbsup :)

this kit assembles nicely, you should have a lot of fun with it. It is a delicate little thing with nice detail.

I finished mine a few months ago and it does make a fine showpiece on the living room cabinet .

Dear friends thank you very much! Very motivating for me! :oops:

After few days I succeeded to remove frames from strip and clean/sand/glue them. They are in jig but not yet glued. Next task is glue them then probably deck installation to achieve nicer arrangement of frames plus strength. But will decide still about this. And then planking - most difficult part which scares me most :D

I also 3d printed small merchant so I/we can imagine real size of ship and I think it will stay in front of ship on the base :) It represent persian merchant but it is best I can find and I think it will work ;) Anchor is done to.

OFF TOPIC: I've experienced really strange situation. I am banned on MSW forum because posting this build on this forum. I'm honestly shocked. First how can one ban someone for doing things on other forum? Why they track people :( And second I had no idea this kit isn't certified in some way? I bought it legally on ebay and I thought it is normal kit. I'm normal family guy and I don't support piracy or something but this repressive action of banning from them really surprise me and leave me in shock. I was member for more then 10 year I think on MSW. They were very unpleasant in responses like I did this intentionally although I really had no idea.

0008.png0009.png0010.png0011.png0012.png0013.png0014.png0015.png

Well works continue :) I glued and finished work with frames plus decks so overall structure is much stronger. Than I removed bottom part of the jig so everything is ready for planks. No more delays :( Planks looks bit thick too me and wood is so so but we will see. Not sure do I have to soak and shape them before :confused: @Dematosdg?

On the deck planks - coal pencil between them get bit messy and planks are too thin so I can't sand it until clean. But I think I can cover ugliest part with equipment/ropes in the end. It does look of course much nicer in live then on images. I will finish vertical parts of deck after planks

Thanks Beer

0016.png0017.png0018.png0019.png0020.png0021.png0022.png0023.png

Well works continue :) I glued and finished work with frames plus decks so overall structure is much stronger. Than I removed bottom part of the jig so everything is ready for planks. No more delays :( Planks looks bit thick too me and wood is so so but we will see. Not sure do I have to soak and shape them before :confused: @Dematosdg?

On the deck planks - coal pencil between them get bit messy and planks are too thin so I can't sand it until clean. But I think I can cover ugliest part with equipment/ropes in the end. It does look of course much nicer in live then on images. I will finish vertical parts of deck after planks

Thanks Beer

View attachment 326550View attachment 326551View attachment 326552View attachment 326553View attachment 326554View attachment 326555View attachment 326556View attachment 326557

The hull planks are perfectly shapped. You do not need to modify anything.

BUT BE CAREFULL.... read my log at this point. There was an issue at the Bow or Stern. I cant remember if it was my falt. I do not have time to look for it now. But later tonight I will.

STOP HERE... and read my log postings about hull plank. I am sure someone else had the same issue.

Daniel

No I mean to bend them in advance to follow the shape of curve. I know they are shaped to fill space of hull. And yes I remember from your build log that they are bit longer which is ok. I'm familiar with that. Thanks anyway :)

No I mean to bend them in advance to follow the shape of curve. I know they are shaped to fill space of hull. And yes I remember from your build log that they are bit longer which is ok. I'm familiar with that. Thanks anyway :)

You Don't need to bend them. They are very thin and flexible.

My right top plank just broke and I just bend it easily not fully just to check :) it broke on laser mark line. Other side looks more strong probably this line was a bit too deep. It is some kind of alignment line probably for decoration. It is currently disaster for me because even if I glue it I doubt it will hold on curve.

ah ah disaster :) I saw that wood is medium quality but both main planks broke just when I was checking curvature and easy pushing them over frames. One broke on laser mark and other top part just broke. This is disaster to be honest but will se what can I do. These are not repairable :(

I would really appreciate advices from more proficient modelers. Probably best way is to buy strips of wood and do it on harder way? Although I don't know how will I make top one. And I'm really bad in planking. Thanks!

IMG_6174.png

Last edited:
Continue planking, glue that piece the best you can. Then fill all the defects with wood filler, sand, shape, then paint as I did on my Model.

Last edited:
HI IT IS A DELICATE BUILD JUST TAKE YOUR TIME AND FOLLOW DANIELS ADVICE, AS TO MSW/NRG BE THANKFUL YOU DO NOT HAVE TO HERE THE BS FROM THAT PLACE YOU ARE IN EXCELLENT CO. HERE,BY WHAT YOU LIKE AND BUILD WHAT YOU LIKE THIS IS A VIBRANT COMUNITY THE OTHER A DYING PLACE SO WELCOME. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON

You broke the plank on the section I circle black.
The laser Line show you were to glue the piece of wood (red circle). All that section will be painted red. So, carefully, glue the broken piece. Not with CA or the wood will lose flexibility. Use PVA (classical wood glue). Then glue carefully to the hull. Any defect at the broken section or at the laser line, fill it and sand carefully.

The laser line (plus sanding) will be cover with the wood piece.
The broken section (plus sanding) will be painted red. I only used 2 coats of read there to allow the planks li e to be seen. You do more coats, as I did on the black section. Any repair will be covered.

You will be fine.

Screenshot_20220903-192622_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220903-193952_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Sir Don and Daniel thank you very much! Really appreciate your message Don. Also Daniel very motivating and good advice, unfortunately what ever I do planks keep crumble. Please see image below. I will definitely order some strips to try to make planking on my own. I guess I didn't had luck with strip wood which comes in my kit.

Bryian not sure are you sarcastic :D because nothing goes well further. But in both situation I thank you very much!
I appreciate good humor :D LOL

IMG_6176.png

Last edited:
Sir Don and Daniel thank you very much! Really appreciate your message Don. Also Daniel very motivating and good advice, unfortunately what I ever I do planks keep crumble. Please see image below. I will definitely order some strips to try to make planking on my own. I guess I didn't had luck with strip wood which comes in my kit.

Bryian not sure are you sarcastic :D because nothing goes well further. But in both situation I thank you very much!
I appreciate good humor :D LOL

View attachment 326689

Have you sanded the frames to the laser lines to get the hull curvature ? (Beveling)

I did that before gluing the frames and later on did a little more sanding and tested the hull shape with a 0.5mm strip to check that the plank will touch every frame keeping a nice hull shape.

See posting #23

Post in thread 'Marmara Trade Boat, 1:48 , SC brand [COMPLETED BUILD]' https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...-48-sc-brand-completed-build.5645/post-116911

And posting #26

Post in thread 'Marmara Trade Boat, 1:48 , SC brand [COMPLETED BUILD]' https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...-48-sc-brand-completed-build.5645/post-117139

Daniel

Back