Mast Alignment

A simple way of aligning multiple masts. Set the fore mast vertical and at the correct rake. Set the other masts in their steps. Take a length of wood strip long enough to go beyond the first and last mast, place one end on the aft side of the fore mast at its base, and make a pencil mark on the strip of wood at the centerline of the remaining masts. Using a series of small clamps, set the front of the strip on the back of the foremast just below the trestle and clamp it in place. Align the center of each remaining mast, one at a time, with the pencil mark on the strip and clamp it in place. If you drilled the mast steps accurately initially, the masts should be perfectly in line and at the correct rake. This is WYOMING, the kit I'm currently developing for BlueJacket. With six masts, it helps if they are all aligned...ALIGN.jpgALIGN2.jpg

Good idea for even three masted models! Well done!
You have to be carefuld to use this way at three master.
The WYOMING was a schooner, where all masts (or most of them) are installed in the same angle.
The "normal" 3-master usually the masts had different angles towards the keel

You have to be carefuld to use this way at three master.
The WYOMING was a schooner, where all masts (or most of them) are installed in the same angle.
The "normal" 3-master usually the masts had different angles towards the keel
Indeed…setting the rake first for each mast then use the alignment method above to clip the rake in place and then help align the vertical set for all three masts to each other was my thinking. It is the vertical alignment of all three masts to each other that I have trouble with…might work…might not as you say…

Back