Mast making/Rigging.

Do you find it easier to install or mount yards and rigging (shrouds) prior to stepping the masts? What is considered normal? In following AL's instruction progression, they do this much later in the build. What's your experience?

20210714_133402.jpg

Do you find it easier to install or mount yards and rigging (shrouds) prior to stepping the masts? What is considered normal? In following AL's instruction progression, they do this much later in the build. What's your experience?
I have found it easier to attach shrouds before stepping the masts. Its makes it easier to attach the seized shrouds. I mount the yards with sails attached toward the end of the build. I don't want the sails in the way when I'm rigging. I have started belaying the halyards and other lines to the pins before I do the yards as well. It's easier to tie off the lines before so many things get in the way. And it's easier to tie the lines to the yards later and keep the lines taut. By the way, your masts look pretty cool. And thanks for your service, Sarge!

Thank you! I think I'll try one mast and see how that goes. I will probably have to do the seizing by hand (unless I find a nifty jig for it). Artesania Latina suggests gluing the shrouds but I want to tie them too. And I'll save the sails till last. Thanks for your suggestions!

Last edited:
Hmmm…after many masting and rigging adventures what I now do is build the masts in separate sections. That is, build up the lower mast section including all seizing, blocks, and the top and mount on the model. Then I work the standing rigging for that mast section. Then I build up the next section and mount to the lower mast…then add any standing rigging for that section. And so on. So, for a typical three section mast I assemble it in three separate builds adding the standing rigging as I go. In addition, for a typical three masted build I do all the lower masts first…fore to mizzenmast…then go back and do the next section…repeat for upper mast sections. Not very conventional but seems to work for me…

In spite of most books and resources suggesting building the masts first and then attaching them (as your photo shows--nice work btw) I've always just built them up on the ship, installing lower masts then tops, doing all the running rigging and then doing the standing rigging. I've found it helps me make sure the masts are all aligned properly and I don't have to worry about cutting the shrouds the right length etc.430 Dec 4, 2008.JPG

In spite of most books and resources suggesting building the masts first and then attaching them (as your photo shows--nice work btw) I've always just built them up on the ship, installing lower masts then tops, doing all the running rigging and then doing the standing rigging. I've found it helps me make sure the masts are all aligned properly and I don't have to worry about cutting the shrouds the right length etc.View attachment 244824
Do you have a build log, Thomas?

Back