Masts

Hi guys
I was bored silly today so thought I would pass it on. I received my order of dowels this afternoon. The picture is very boring and does not show that these are made from exotic wood. I grew tired of the standard wood (oak or similar) that is typically used for masts etc. I found a fellow who makes dowels from a large number of exotic woods.
Any length and diameter. The two in the photo are canary and padauk. When a suitable finish is applied the grain of the wood really comes out. Just a bit of an upgrade for a model. Okay. Enough of boring you.

Attachments

• 7FC56BD8-6898-4308-95EB-39F4F8DBE7FF.jpeg
    7FC56BD8-6898-4308-95EB-39F4F8DBE7FF.jpeg
    419.9 KB · Views: 35
I think it would be correct to cut the masts lengthways into sections, then laminate together as thats how they did it on real ship construction.
Most modellers just use a single dowel for masts which I think is incorrect on larger ships.
Brian
I never thought of that but it makes perfect sense. Would they have laminated wood of the same species or used whatever was available and cobbled a mast together?

john

Brian,
you are correct - that in looking at a cross-section of a mast. However, to this day, I have yet to see any modeler take on this challenge of the "built up mast" - I wish I could see one done. It seems that alone would be a work within its self.

In the past I have tried a built up lower mast for a larger model. I glued four pieces of square stock together then sanded the edges to round. Once stained and poly is applied the seams show the construction nicely. This was a few years ago...not tried it since. The model is cased so I can't get a clear picture to post. I just picked up a mini bench top mini lathe...I might try the technique again and use the lathe to round...

Last edited:
I've been doing a little research and found that conifer (essentially a pine tree) was used a lot. Why use exotic wood?

1) Pine dowelling isn't very stable.
2) Looks.

Fair 'nuff, makes sense. I asked for samples from the above mentioned specialty dowel company but I'd like to add something other than the Douglas Fir and Pine I already requested. What other type of wood do you think would make a really top notch mast/spar? I've only ever used the kit provided El Cheapo dowels and I want to step up my game for my Rattlesnake. Thank you in advance.

Back