Materials for casting

Hi everyone,
Can someone share the links for materials for casting of cannons, anchors, etc which they know they work or tried or can recommend? In north america or europe at least.
I think we are looking at a dental alloy based on lead and tin with melting temp around 100-150С (200-300F). For the mold- 2-component silicon compound. I've read about these components on the russian forum but now need to find them here

Last edited:
i have used Bismuth melting point 250ish

i also used this from micro mart

cast1.JPG

here are other alloys

Last edited:
Mold Max 60 is another source for creating low-melt metal molds. It comes in a tub that can create seven or eight 2"x5"x1" molds and holds really fine detail. You can order it at Reynolds Advanced Materials online. One tub costs about $30 + shipping. I ordered a tub from Amazon first, only to discover it came out-of-date and unusable. Reynolds is far better. One caution, be sure to measure the mixture precisely!

Along with Stephan, I find this topic very interesting. I think I would opt for an alloy with a higher melting temp, if it produced a higher relief detail. Can anyone tell me what mold material offers the best detail? I would imagine some form of silicone? I haven't casted anything since the lost wax in plaster method was the standard!!

Along with Stephan, I find this topic very interesting. I think I would opt for an alloy with a higher melting temp, if it produced a higher relief detail. Can anyone tell me what mold material offers the best detail? I would imagine some form of silicone? I haven't casted anything since the lost wax in plaster method was the standard!!
Make sure your metal has bismuth in it to keep the lead, tin, or zinc from shrinking when it cools. It doesn't need much bismuth at all, just a percent or two, but it will help hold the detail. My casts turned out very detailed, holding almost as much as the original, by using Mold Max 60 (yes, it is silicone based) and the alloy with bismuth.

Make sure your metal has bismuth in it to keep the lead, tin, or zinc from shrinking when it cools. It doesn't need much bismuth at all, just a percent or two, but it will help hold the detail. My casts turned out very detailed, holding almost as much as the original, by using Mold Max 60 and the alloy with bismuth.
Thanks mate! I'm looking far out ahead of cannon work on my next project. I think I will have a few original prototypes 3d printed and then cast alloy copies from them. Does this sound like a viable approach?

Thanks mate! I'm looking far out ahead of cannon work on my next project. I think I will have a few original prototypes 3d printed and then cast alloy copies from them. Does this sound like a viable approach?
Sure, as long as you clean up the edges created by the layering process. Good idea!

I've seen a video (can't find it back) and there was the mold before you put the melted metal in was covered with dust of carbon of a pensil. To make sure the metal comes in every place. Is this a good tip?
Yes like Ken said very interesting subject.

I've seen a video (can't find it back) and there was the mold before you put the melted metal in was covered with dust of carbon of a pensil. To make sure the metal comes in every place. Is this a good tip?
A thin dusting of simple fine baby talcum powder does the same job as graphite powder and is less messy. General Electric makes silicon rubbers for casting white metal, to upgrade you could consider centrifugal casting machines which do a better job than gravity casting.
Doug Hey New Zealand

Most use talcum powder or even diatomaceous earth, any fine powder that won't burn. Graphite sounds messy.

Back