Matthew 1497 1:48 scale by Mike 41 [COMPLETED BUILD]

MIKE DAVE CAN YOU SHOW A LITTLE MORE OF THE HISTORY OF THE FRAMING WITH SOME 3-D AND EVEN ME I AM GETTING VERY, VERY INTEESTED IN THE REASEARCH IF IT IS NOT TO TIME CONSUMING, MABE OF INTEREST TO OTHERS. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON

one reason the blocks and frame stack so well is the smooth accuracy of the laser cut

View attachment 316252
look at the block i built by cutting out by hand all the frame parts
you looking very close just looking at the block in your hand it looks pretty good. but still there is the introduction of had cut vs laser cut.

View attachment 316251

The use of the keel jig and pining the frame pattern to form board locating the parts to the exact shape required is a prerequisite for a successful build using the stacking method used by Dave.

It is a simple well thought out procedure. Good job Dave!

Keelson

The frames are in place and the keelson is next. The keelson is laser cut along with the keel. After removing the char, I glued it in place using rubber bands and mini clamps. I also drilled holes thru the keelson and frames into the keel at every forth frame for 20-gauge brass bolts. Copper wire would work as well. This is the progress photos.

IMG_3936.jpgIMG_3938.jpgIMG_3939.jpgIMG_3940_Moment.jpgIMG_3941.jpgIMG_3942.jpgIMG_3943.jpg

MIKE DAVE CAN YOU SHOW A LITTLE MORE OF THE HISTORY OF THE FRAMING WITH SOME 3-D AND EVEN ME I AM GETTING VERY, VERY INTEESTED IN THE REASEARCH IF IT IS NOT TO TIME CONSUMING, MABE OF INTEREST TO OTHERS. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON

ok i will see what i can do

back in the early days B.C. before computers modelers had 4 sources of information Model Shipwright, Model Ship Builder, Ships in Scale and the NRG journal. 2 were hobby magazines, Model Shipwright being the best of the 4 and the NRG journal an academic wannabe with articles from hobby level members. So what was read in print was taken as fact.
Back then it was thought ships were framed with the sistered system or the English style of sistered bends and fillers. The framing of the Admiralty models was considered a "modeling style" due to lack of research. Today we know better and the style of framing of admiralty models are actually the way ships were framed and the precursor to the double framing.

So i said to Mike if we are framing the model lets be historical accurate or the very least as accurate as we can.
this started the research.

half2.jpg
half1.jpg

Thanks Bill & Don, we do what we can. Dave oversees the 3-D department, I am a flat earth guy lol.

Hi Bosco, thanks I hope we can keep the project interesting for everyone. I translated your post to English; Don doesn’t speak French.

Ok merci Mike41 pour la traduction ! perso je me sers du traducteur automatique, c'est simple et rapide;) car je ne parle pas Anglais ! :Oops:
Ok thanks Mike41 for the translation! personally I use the automatic translator, it's simple and fast ;) because I don't speak English! :Oops:

Mike and I were using a Spanish shipwreck as a source of framing information but we were building and English ship.

from Scheepvaart museum in Amsterdam the illustration shows the same type of framing so we can assume it was used as a standard method through out shipyards in Europe. It also shows the early framing of Admiralty models was not just a modeling style but an actual framing method.

dutch framing.jpg

Mike and I were using a Spanish shipwreck as a source of framing information but we were building and English ship.

from Scheepvaart museum in Amsterdam the illustration shows the same type of framing so we can assume it was used as a standard method through out shipyards in Europe. It also shows the early framing of Admiralty models was not just a modeling style but an actual framing method.

View attachment 316321
sorry, look for something on Spanish Architecture regarding Galleons

hey nice work on the hull, partner, i got to get moving here to catch up.
using the term "partner" as like minded people or group with the same goal. In this case build a model. Now to call yourself partners is to agree with what each one is doing and i must say Mike has this under control i have nothing to disagree with.

hey nice work on the hull, partner, i got to get moving here to catch up.
using the term "partner" as like minded people or group with the same goal. In this case build a model. Now to call yourself partners is to agree with what each one is doing and i must say Mike has this under control i have nothing to disagree with.
I only allowed myself a thought of mine is nothing more

OH MY, I WOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH FRENCH IF THE LOVE OF MY LIFE WAS STILL HERE, SHE AT ONE TIME WAS A TUTOR IN FRENCH SPOKE IT FLUENTLY, LOST HER TO DEMENTIA 12 YEARS AGO AND STILL MISS HER EVERY DAY. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

Mast and Capstan Steps

The design for the steps was based on the Canadian replica. A straightforward design that is working. I used magnets to assemble the steps the main mast has a pair of knees reinforcing the sides of the step the other steps are not reinforced. I drilled 1/8” diameter holes in the steps to set the masts, not historically accurate but works for the model. Progress photos.

IMG_3944.jpgIMG_3945.jpgIMG_3946.jpgIMG_3947.jpg

Thanks Bosco, the magnets are very useful for small parts assembly.

Back