Member's Artwork

I've noticed some other members of this site like to draw and paint. I do also, and I hope this thread will encourage the others to post some of your artwork. In keeping with the Nautical/Maritime purpose of the site, I will keep my posted art to those genres. So here goes.. I'd love to see other's work of an ocean greyhound bounding over the waves..Cape blanco ebay.jpgChicago Harbor Lighthouse_Drawing.jpg35078397_107709390130023_966530493874962432_n.jpgIMG_7834.jpgIMG_8083.jpgbluenose.jpgIMG_8097.jpgPT Boat.jpg

I've often wondered if there are artists who will paint a ship on request for the buyer, sort of like the painting below. I'd love to have a realistic painting of the same ship that I've modeled in a naval battle. I wonder what such a painting would cost. All I can do is paint by number. :rolleyes:

sea-clouds-clouds-sailboat-wallpaper-preview.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Kurt,
There are a number of artists who do take commissions. The best thing to do is contact a Maritime Art Society such as: https://americansocietyofmarineartists.com/
Each artist has their own style, and it is best to look at enough examples of their art to see if their style matches what you are wanting.

Prices also can be all over the map depending on how accomplished and well known the artist is, and what is their painting backlog, etc.. So the best thing to do is decide how much you would be willing to spend and then go looking.

An accomplished artist should be able to turn out a 22"x28" painting in about two weeks. Some may be faster, some may be slower.. But again, it depends on the backlog they have and where they are in their career. It also depends on the size and medium they like to paint with.

One of my favorite artists is Anthony Cowland: https://www.argc-art.com/sail-and-tall-ships

He predominantly paints using Gouache rather than oil.. Because he can get paintings done more quickly..

One of my favorite sporting artists, David Hagerbaumer, only did watercolor.. Because he could crank out a painting in a day rather than weeks, such as with oil.

An oil painting will generally cost significantly more than a gouache painting or a watercolor.

I decided to stop accepting commissions and keep painting as a hobby after several failed attempts at launching an art career. I just couldn't make the economics work while I endeavored to "get well known". There are MANY really good artists "out there". I also realized that if I turned my hobby into my work, I would have to find a new hobby, and with my my sons and grandchildren and other interests, there just isn't the desire to try to do that anymore.

When I was taking commissions I would charge $3.00 per square inch of painted surface. So a 22"x28" painting would cost $1848.00. That admittedly is a lot for a non-professional, but I had to consider that taking the commission was taking away my non-work hours.. And the painting would take me probably 50-60 hours to paint, which works out to be about $36/hr, which is still less than I make as a programmer..

The last "commission" that I took was 48" x 60", but I only charged materials and shipping. The person I had painted it for was a close friend. It was for his retirement as a 777 Captain for American Airlines, and I really wanted to do the painting. It took me nearly a year given my other commitments and over 250 hours of planning, drawing, and painting.

The economics of living from your art are similar regardless of whether it is a painted picture or a model.. Painters, just like master ship model craftsmen, charge appropriately for their work. There is a lot of time and skill involved.

I hope this answers your questions..

All the best,
Mark

Attachments

• American 777 on approach to RWY 28C O'Hare.jpg
    American 777 on approach to RWY 28C O'Hare.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 4
Hi Kurt,
There are a number of artists who do take commissions. The best thing to do is contact a Maritime Art Society such as: https://americansocietyofmarineartists.com/
Each artist has their own style, and it is best to look at enough examples of their art to see if their style matches what you are wanting.

Prices also can be all over the map depending on how accomplished and well known the artist is, and what is their painting backlog, etc.. So the best thing to do is decide how much you would be willing to spend and then go looking.

An accomplished artist should be able to turn out a 22"x28" painting in about two weeks. Some may be faster, some may be slower.. But again, it depends on the backlog they have and where they are in their career. It also depends on the size and medium they like to paint with.

One of my favorite artists is Anthony Cowland: https://www.argc-art.com/sail-and-tall-ships

He predominantly paints using Gouache rather than oil.. Because he can get paintings done more quickly..

One of my favorite sporting artists, David Hagerbaumer, only did watercolor.. Because he could crank out a painting in a day rather than weeks, such as with oil.

An oil painting will generally cost significantly more than a gouache painting or a watercolor.

I decided to stop accepting commissions and keep painting as a hobby after several failed attempts at launching an art career. I just couldn't make the economics work while I endeavored to "get well known". There are MANY really good artists "out there". I also realized that if I turned my hobby into my work, I would have to find a new hobby, and with my my sons and grandchildren and other interests, there just isn't the desire to try to do that anymore.

When I was taking commissions I would charge $3.00 per square inch of painted surface. So a 22"x28" painting would cost $1848.00. That admittedly is a lot for a non-professional, but I had to consider that taking the commission was taking away my non-work hours.. And the painting would take me probably 50-60 hours to paint, which works out to be about $36/hr, which is still less than I make as a programmer..

The last "commission" that I took was 48" x 60", but I only charged materials and shipping. The person I had painted it for was a close friend. It was for his retirement as a 777 Captain for American Airlines, and I really wanted to do the painting. It took me nearly a year given my other commitments and over 250 hours of planning, drawing, and painting.

The economics of living from your art are similar regardless of whether it is a painted picture or a model.. Painters, just like master ship model craftsmen, charge appropriately for their work. There is a lot of time and skill involved.

I hope this answers your questions..

All the best,
Mark
You have presented a fantastic spectrum of your work. Few people have such skills. Rich (PT-2)

Thanks, Rich. I do enjoy it. I hope they can bring joy and inspiration to others, just like the skilled workmanship of so many modelers presented in this forum do for me.
Mark

Back