Metal fittings colors

This may not be the right place for this, but my question is about 'blackening' brass parts. Since 'Blacken-it' no longer seems to be available what other options are there??

I'm a newbie beginning with the Amati gunboat 'Arrow' model kit and the Model Shipways gunboat 'Philadelphia'. I have a PhD. in history & my limited research suggests that American ships of the Revolutionary War period did not have brass cannon - brass being way to expensive for the Colonial Navy (Army actually - since the gunboats were built & manned by the Army). I don't imagine that any of the fittings on the actual gunboats were brass - more likely they were made of bog iron. I'm not really keen on the idea of trying to paint the kit supplied brass fittings - I think that would add too much 'volume' to their size and not look accurate either.

Anyway any help, suggestions, info is appreciated. if this has been discussed elsewhere on the forum - please direct me in that direction.

Thanks Kevin

Hello, Kevin. Such a question popped up from time to time. I am sure we have answers scattered across build logs. I simple search (in the right upper corner) of the word 'blackening' reveals 7 pages of build logs. Not necessary all of them discuss how to blacken parts, but it is a great starting point

In short, I like to use the Birchwood Casey line products. They have products for brass and steel. The most popular among ship modelers in USA is Brass Black. Check this out.

I am using the stuff from Ballistol with very good result

but the material from Birchwood Casey like Jim mentioned is also very good

I am using the stuff from Ballistol with very good result
I believe the Ballistol product you cannot purchase in the US, and due to transportations restrictions, it makes it impossible to purchace from another part of the world. I can only guess they are pretty similar if not the same chemicals reagents branded by two different names.

I believe the Ballistol product you cannot purchase in the US, and due to transportations restrictions, it makes it impossible to purchace from another part of the world. I can only guess they are pretty similar if not the same chemicals reagents branded by two different names.
I think you are right with your thoughts..... when you order from Europe.
But seems, that you can also order it from US - they have a special web-page for the US-market so it seems, that there is a retailer in the USA or an own office

Washington Trading Company, Inc.
BALLISTOL USA

P.O. Box 900
Kitty Hawk, NC 27949
Toll free: 1-800-253-2460
Fax: (252) 261-0408
Email: info@ballistol.com

Ballistol is producing a more blue-black surface, especially after polishing, usually used for guns - I made the complete blackening on my Le Coureur with this product:

I think you are right with your thoughts..... when you order from Europe.
But seems, that you can also order it from US - they have a special web-page for the US-market so it seems, that there is a retailer in the USA or an own office

Washington Trading Company, Inc.
BALLISTOL USA

P.O. Box 900
Kitty Hawk, NC 27949
Toll free: 1-800-253-2460
Fax: (252) 261-0408
Email: info@ballistol.com

Ballistol is producing a more blue-black surface, especially after polishing, usually used for guns - I made the complete blackening on my Le Coureur with this product:

But it seems not all products - sorry

I have been using a Micro Engineering product called Rail Weathering Solution for blackening brass parts. It is available in many hobby stores/shops, and on-line but I am not sure outside N. America.

I have been using it for years and obtain great results weathering brass. I have not used it on ship brass cannons yet but will be doing so in the near future. What I like is you can adjust the solution to your needs. You can watch the blacking effect as the solution works on the brass. Remove the item, wash it in water (I use distilled) to stop the chemical reaction and then see if it needs a repeat soaking. I use a rag to buff the black residue off the brass item. It is important to start off with a scrupulously clean brass part otherwise the weathering solution will not react properly, especially if you leave oily fingerprints. You can reuse the diluted solution so I have a separate bottle for that. I always wear powder free vinyl surgical type gloves when working with this stuff.

370BBB27-74E8-4108-9CD5-9AB880875DB1.jpeg5FBEC6BD-2E27-4C59-A8A7-7E2D10EBF20D.jpeg

I actually have successfully painted brass and Britannia metal fittings using a flat acrylic enamel. The paint does not want to be thick but rather thin to flow easily over the part. Color may vary from true black to grey blacks such as gun metal grey (what I use for cannons) which is a grey black tone. Anyway…an option to try…

Last edited:
This may not be the right place for this, but my question is about 'blackening' brass parts. Since 'Blacken-it' no longer seems to be available what other options are there??

I'm a newbie beginning with the Amati gunboat 'Arrow' model kit and the Model Shipways gunboat 'Philadelphia'. I have a PhD. in history & my limited research suggests that American ships of the Revolutionary War period did not have brass cannon - brass being way to expensive for the Colonial Navy (Army actually - since the gunboats were built & manned by the Army). I don't imagine that any of the fittings on the actual gunboats were brass - more likely they were made of bog iron. I'm not really keen on the idea of trying to paint the kit supplied brass fittings - I think that would add too much 'volume' to their size and not look accurate either.

Anyway any help, suggestions, info is appreciated. if this has been discussed elsewhere on the forum - please direct me in that direction.

Thanks Kevin
Hallo Kavin alias @sedonakevin
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back