Metal Shackles & Blocks

I am working on the San Felipe. (ZHL)
I want to use metal shackles and blocks in this model, my question is were metal items used in that era?
The kit does not come with them, these are aftermarket parts.
Thanks.

I don’t know if we can pin down a date for such a shift from wood to metal. Also, I think there has never been a complete shift over from wood to metal as far as blocks for organic and man-made line is concerned. One shift is the use of steel lines rather than organic rope. The sheaves of blocks for wire rigging to my knowledge have (almost) always been from cast iron. The wire rope would simply saw into wooden sheaves. Also, wire rope requires relatively large sheaves that would be quite expensive to make from wood. However, research indicates that partial changes occurred during the 18th century meaning the use of metal pins and metal sheaves in wood blocks as an example. I would say that by the 19th century all metal shackles and blocks appeared on sailing yachts Along with steel cable rigging lines. As for the San Felipe I would suggest wood rigging gear as more appropriate to the era…

Last edited:
I don’t know if we can pin down a date for such a shift from wood to metal. Also, I think there has never been a complete shift over from wood to metal as far as blocks for organic and man-made line is concerned. One shift is the use of steel lines rather than organic rope. The sheaves of blocks for wire rigging to my knowledge have (almost) always been from cast iron. The wire rope would simply saw into wooden sheaves. Also, wire rope requires relatively large sheaves that would be quite expensive to make from wood. However, research indicates that partial changes occurred during the 18th century meaning the use of metal pins and metal sheaves in wood blocks as an example. I would say that by the 19th century all metal shackles and blocks appeared on sailing yachts Along with steel cable rigging lines. As for the San Felipe I would suggest wood rigging gear as more appropriate to the era…
Thank you for the detailed reply.
Much appreciated.
Regards.

Back