Metal Side cutters for (stainless) steel wire

Hi;
Can anyone recommend a brand for a SS wire side cuttter?
I have ruined several Xuron side cutters; they work fine for brass and will cut SS wire but the cutting blades are not hard enough to do so without damage to the blades. Wire approx .2 to .5 diameter. Need to be able to cut wire close/ flush to surface it is in.
Have done a search online, but the majority are not hardened jaws and are from China.
Thanks. Ilan

Hi;
Can anyone recommend a brand for a SS wire side cuttter?
I have ruined several Xuron side cutters; they work fine for brass and will cut SS wire but the cutting blades are not hard enough to do so without damage to the blades. Wire approx .2 to .5 diameter. Need to be able to cut wire close/ flush to surface it is in.
Have done a search online, but the majority are not hardened jaws and are from China.
Thanks. Ilan
Very good request - my side-cutters are also partly damaged, so I would also need a new one - important is indeed the cutting area flush to the surface

Can't think of anything that will repeatedly stand up to cutting Stainless steel in this application.May I ask if you are using Stainless to represent fastenings?If so,I suggest switching to solid Silver wire available from Jeweller's supply shops.This is much softer and easier to flush off.Other option is to cut the stainless proud with a cut off wheel,then tap the fixings flush with the hull.They should not bend if you keep them reasonably close to the surface.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Can't think of anything that will repeatedly stand up to cutting Stainless steel in this application.May I ask if you are using Stainless to represent fastenings?If so,I suggest switching to solid Silver wire available from Jeweller's supply shops.This is much softer and easier to flush off.Other option is to cut the stainless proud with a cut off wheel,then tap the fixings flush with the hull.They should not bend if you keep them reasonably close to the surface.

Kind Regards

Nigel
I use SS wire to fasten things when I can get finer wire then brass or is stronger. Will check out the silver wire. I anticipate it bends much easier then SS wire? Also will the wire ends corrode and stain the wood around it as time goes on?

If it is just a display model then the Silver isn't an issue corrosion wise.It is used by some of the Russian Master modellers to get silver coloured fasteners when brass or copper is aesthetically unsuitable.If you are using the stainless for its structural properties then Silver may not be suitable and is obviously softer

Kind Regards

Nigel

I usually use a carbide cutting disc in the Dremel for this. You need to look for "hard wire cutters" or "music wire cutters". Stainless is really rough on and cutting tool! A quick search turned up these heavy duty side cutters-scroll down a bit to see them.

Hi;
Thanks; I looked at it, but at 9" long I think would be hard to use at the tiny level of things I do. I also did a search, but all the ones I came across did not seem to be hardened enough. Also tried a Xuron Rail-cutting tool thinking if it could cut model RR ties cleanly it would work. Small SS wire nicked it as well!

You will also find SS wire cutters designed to cut rigging wire on modern sailing boats but even the ones for small dinghies are quite large.

John

You can can also buy SS cutters which are used to cut SS rigging on modern sailing boats but even the ones for dinghies are quite large.

John

The Xuron hard wire cutters work very well but will not cut flush to a surface. The side cutters I have tried. even the rail cutters all get nicked. The other tools are just far to large for miniature work. I am waiting for the arrival of a guitar string cutter from a music outfit.

End of my attempts to find the right tool. Those side cutters that claim to be "induction hardened" seem to work well. Lowe's sells a 6" Craftsman side cutter that works well with the SS music wire I've used it on repeatedly; the blades do not get nicked and it was inexpensive. The only drawback is it is not a flush cutter, but it comes very close.

Any possibility you can file the "flatter side" of the Craftsman Cutters in order to get a closer cut? I know that hardening is done to a certain depth in the metal, so there may be risk of losing the hardening if you file too much. Good luck.
Steven

Back