micro chisel

am looking to buy a good set of micro chisel , any one have a source chisel , also looking for needle nose clamps.

Micromark for the pliers. Do not buy chisels. Almost all are too clumsy. Make your own. Use broken drille. Glue fluted end into a dowel. Choose a dowel size you like. Sharpen the shank end on stones. Coarse grit 400 to about 1000 grit. I use mostly drill sizes 80 (0.0135") to 60. Tip angle varies depending upon use. 15 degrees is a good angle to start. Some are short handled. Some are long handled. Simply make what will work for the job at hand. Save all broken drills in a small bottle for future use. I have about a hundred chisels at present and a hundred broken drills in the bottle. Make new ones as needed. Sharpen frequently. I use mostly 3/16 dowels for handles. My smallest chisel is 0.01" wide.
chisels are about 0.01" wide. Needles make lousy chisels.

am looking to buy a good set of micro chisel , any one have a source chisel , also looking for needle nose clamps.
well, i bought my microchisels from Micromark.com, but they are expensive because of the shipping costs. Hope this helps. Stay away from Amazon. They are crap

If you want to take it up a notch, there is a Russian craftsman with wonderful skills, (I need to find his name). He offers 4 different levels of sets and prices. I believe the only difference between the sets is the materials used in the chisels' handles. I opted for the Swiss Pear handles as it was the last set he had on hand. He only makes a limited number of sets per year.

20211127_114342.jpg
20211127_114459.jpg
20211127_114503.jpg
These chisels are really artesian tools and not only functional, but works of art themselves. With a Veritas sharpening jig and good stones, the will last a lifetime, maybe a few lifetimes.20211127_114715.jpg20211127_114617.jpg20211127_114741.jpg20211127_114747.jpg20211127_114757.jpg I believe the price of my set was somewhere around $300, but you will never need another. I believe the craftsman's name is Mikail(sp). I will look through my emails to see if I can find. I do believe other SoS members also have these.

Cheers,
Ken

If i see it well the maker's name is M. (probably Mikhail) Kirsanov ......

Have you tried this? http://www.dockyardtoolsusa.com/products.html
I have used my sets for years with good results.

As an aside; can anyone post a good way to sharpen theses? I have tried and it seems hit-and -miss as far as getting a razor edge using shaped hones and lapping compound.

As far as Micro Mark is concerned they are very hit and miss in so far as quality is concerned, as well as being very pricey (which I don't mind if it is a good quality tool). Some are good and some are just downright disgusting in terms of quality. I think they capitalize on being a one-stop shop for all the specialized tools a modeler needs including crappy ones that are otherwise hard to source. Case in point is the drill index and the draw plate I recently received from them. In comparison to the ones they were replacing in my shop, I can't even bear to look at them.

If you want to take it up a notch, there is a Russian craftsman with wonderful skills, (I need to find his name). He offers 4 different levels of sets and prices. I believe the only difference between the sets is the materials used in the chisels' handles. I opted for the Swiss Pear handles as it was the last set he had on hand. He only makes a limited number of sets per year.

View attachment 271831
View attachment 271832
View attachment 271833
These chisels are really artesian tools and not only functional, but works of art themselves. With a Veritas sharpening jig and good stones, the will last a lifetime, maybe a few lifetimes.View attachment 271834View attachment 271835View attachment 271836View attachment 271837View attachment 271838 I believe the price of my set was somewhere around $300, but you will never need another. I believe the craftsman's name is Mikail(sp). I will look through my emails to see if I can find. I do believe other SoS members also have these.

Cheers,
Ken
Beautiful!

Have you tried this? http://www.dockyardtoolsusa.com/products.html
I have used my sets for years with good results.

As an aside; can anyone post a good way to sharpen theses? I have tried and it seems hit-and -miss ass far as getting a razor edge using shaped hones and lapping compound.

As far as Micro Mark is concerned they are very hit and miss in so far as quality is concerned, as well as being very pricey (which I don't mind if it is a good quality tool). Some are good and some are just downright disgusting in terms of quality. I think they capitalize on being a one-stop shop for all the specialized tools a modeler needs including crappy ones that are otherwise hard to source. Case in point is the drill index and the draw plate I recently received from them. In comparison to the ones they were replacing in my shop, I can't even bear to look at them.
agreed. although the chisels i bought are top notch.

Also agree. I saw their new line of chisels and was tempted although I was reluctant to order because of the quality uncertainty. Good to know and will reconsider as I admire top notch quality hand tools. Thank you for your input.

Just got the new Model Expo catalog, not one chisel , I don’t have a mini set, I gotta say I’ve never needed one.
being a carpenter by trade, it’s rare to even use a chisel anymore. I keep a “scrub” chisel in my tool, not used as you would normally use a chisel.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    488.2 KB · Views: 4
Micromark for the pliers. Do not buy chisels. Almost all are too clumsy. Make your own. Use broken drille. Glue fluted end into a dowel. Choose a dowel size you like. Sharpen the shank end on stones. Coarse grit 400 to about 1000 grit. I use mostly drill sizes 80 (0.0135") to 60. Tip angle varies depending upon use. 15 degrees is a good angle to start. Some are short handled. Some are long handled. Simply make what will work for the job at hand. Save all broken drills in a small bottle for future use. I have about a hundred chisels at present and a hundred broken drills in the bottle. Make new ones as needed. Sharpen frequently. I use mostly 3/16 dowels for handles. My smallest chisel is 0.01" wide.
what a great idea i have lot of useless drill, now they are going to have a second vocation . dowel stock at local store 4 ft for 4 to 5 dollars . tks for the tip

Can you provide advice on how best to sharpen these delicate chisels? I know how to do so on regular chisels, but have patchy success with the tiny ones using shaped slip stones etc. Thank you.

Just got the new Model Expo catalog, not one chisel , I don’t have a mini set, I gotta say I’ve never needed one.
being a carpenter by trade, it’s rare to even use a chisel anymore. I keep a “scrub” chisel in my tool, not used as you would normally use a chisel.
i mostly use them for when i make mistakes and need to unglue things and remove the stuck on wood, if you know what i mean

I don’t remember where I bought this, it’s a fine angular blade in a retractable like pen holder. Blades are replaceable. I guess I grab this when a micro chisel is needed

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    670.3 KB · Views: 23
Back