Mike the Builder

Hi, my name is Mike I'm 77 and live in Kitchener Ontario, I love to make things in wood & metal & in conbinations of both.I have made pens , knives, accoustic guitar, ukulele, 45 cal. muzzleloading rifle from scratch & a lap steel guitar. I belong to a woodworking club close by, but it's been closed on & off due to the so called pandemic ! Like a lot of hobbyist's confined to home I had to find something to do to keep my hands busy to stop climbing the walls ! I found a group of local guys who were sailing 1 metre rc sailboat, I joined them on a couple of outings at one of the local ponds. One of the guys said it;s time for lunch & my meds ! he handed me the transmiter & said have fun, well shiver me timbers I was hooked I had not had so much fun the last time I sailed a boat some 70 years ago. So I went on line & ordered a set of plans for the Sailboat " Emma " designed by Garry Webb od bearospaceindustries.com . During the lockdown last year I built the Emma, what a wonderful experiance, the joy just overwelmed the frustration when things did not go right a times. I was very pleased with how it turned out, I learnrd a lot from this build, I finished it the end of October & the cold weather was starting to set in, then on November 10 we had an unusally warm day. I took my Emma renamed the "The Sydey Jean" after my parents to Victoria Park in Kitchener, there was only a very slight breeze but to my joy she sailed beautifuly. After the holidays were over I was looking for another project, after looking on line I found a Bluenose kit Billing 452 which included the fittings, so I'm just getting into this project, I will post some pictures at a later time, glad to be onboard. Mike

We are glad to have you onboard SOS, Mike! Wonderful story, we are looking forward to your pictures of The Sydney Jean and Bluenose. :)

Hi, my name is Mike I'm 77 and live in Kitchener Ontario, I love to make things in wood & metal & in conbinations of both.I have made pens , knives, accoustic guitar, ukulele, 45 cal. muzzleloading rifle from scratch & a lap steel guitar. I belong to a woodworking club close by, but it's been closed on & off due to the so called pandemic ! Like a lot of hobbyist's confined to home I had to find something to do to keep my hands busy to stop climbing the walls ! I found a group of local guys who were sailing 1 metre rc sailboat, I joined them on a couple of outings at one of the local ponds. One of the guys said it;s time for lunch & my meds ! he handed me the transmiter & said have fun, well shiver me timbers I was hooked I had not had so much fun the last time I sailed a boat some 70 years ago. So I went on line & ordered a set of plans for the Sailboat " Emma " designed by Garry Webb od bearospaceindustries.com . During the lockdown last year I built the Emma, what a wonderful experiance, the joy just overwelmed the frustration when things did not go right a times. I was very pleased with how it turned out, I learnrd a lot from this build, I finished it the end of October & the cold weather was starting to set in, then on November 10 we had an unusally warm day. I took my Emma renamed the "The Sydey Jean" after my parents to Victoria Park in Kitchener, there was only a very slight breeze but to my joy she sailed beautifuly. After the holidays were over I was looking for another project, after looking on line I found a Bluenose kit Billing 452 which included the fittings, so I'm just getting into this project, I will post some pictures at a later time, glad to be onboard. Mike
Welcome aboard multi talented Mike.
How about showing us a few pictures of your version of Emma.
I also like to build r/c Boats, specially tug Boats.

Hallo Mike,
also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum :cool:

Hallo @mike the builder
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hallo @mike the builder
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back