Prototype HMS Blandford Cross Section Prototype by Mike 41 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Mike,
You have made reference to the deck clamps several times and in the BOM given size information. I know this will show my ignorance but you have never identified on a drawing or in your build log where are the deck clamps located?

Hi Mike

There is one stupid question and that is a question that is never asked.

I think Mike will agree with that.

We are here to learn and we appreciate Mike's time and effort.

Cheers
Geoff

Hi Mike,
The deck clamps are the longitudinal supports the deck beams sit on.
Mike

Hi Mike & Geoff,
Thank you guys for your response. So am I right to assume that the deck clamps are just a particular sized strake? If that's the case how do you know which one is the deck clamp,or where to place them?
Mike a really do appreciate the time and effort you give to this project.

Hi Geoff & Mike,
I am sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I was flying back home from Myrtle Beach yesterday, busy day.

Geoff, you are correct, the purpose for a build like this is to what is involved in building a model from scratch, if you don’t know what something is or why we do certain things just ask, I will do my best to answer any question.

Mike, in the drawing package for Part 3 there is a drawing Blandford CS Sect 32 that shows the deck clamps (red strakes) under the green deck beams. I should have labeled them but didn’t, my bad.

This build is a learning experience for me also, your questions help me decide how much detail to add to the drawings and instructions, hopefully I we get a little better at this buy the end of the build.

Mike

Hi Mike,
I first want to say thanks for putting up with my multitude of questions. I really am learning allot.
I was trying to figure out from the different drawings where were the deck clamps. I looked at the drawing for the hanging knees and measured the notches, but it never occurred to me that there may be another strake on top of the deck clamp to account for the extra notch in the knee. I am about ready to attach the keelson and wanted to know if there are bevels to the outer edges of the keelson and to the attaching surfaces of the limber boards.

I found a great deal on ebay for a DeWalt 734. It turned out the sellers are crooks and ebay pulled the item and and the seller lock stock and tomahawk from there web site. The good thing was they gave me a full refund. I guess I will have to write a letter to Santa.
:handgestures-salute:

Hi Mike,
If you look at the drawing Blandford_CS_Sect you will see the keelson is beveled at 45 degrees and the first two strakes are notched to receive the limber boards.
I have a DeWalt DW735X13”, it does a nice job, produces a fine surface very swiftly.
Mike

Hi Mike,
I'm moving along now and I would like to install the upper deck clamps. The BOM for both scales only shows 2ea. Are the dimensions for the upper deck clamps the same as the lower?

Hi Mike,
The deck clamps are the same size for the main and lower deck.
Mike

Hi Mike,
It was not your bad about the deck clamps. Had I looked closer I would have noticed that every frame sheet 2 has both the lower and main deck clamps identified and the dimension of where the go., Duh....
Again thanks for providing this great learning experience.

Mike,

I saw that the Part 4 plans came out and in looking at the deck beams/supports (LDB-1 thru 4) that span the frames...They appear to be straight. Aren't they suppose to arc slightly upward as shown in the drawing, "Blandford Hold Index Plan-32"?

Andy

Hi Andy,
Welcome back, I expect you had a wonderful time in Hawaii.
You are right I show the deck beams in plan view only and should have shown an elevation view, they are arched as shown on the index plan. The arc is typical for all four frames.
If you are ready to make the beams you can use the one shown on the index plan for a template. I will revise the drawings and get them to Donnie to re-issue.
Mike

Hi Mike,
The posts supporting the deck beams I'm not sure how the one over the shot locker goes. Does it go through locker or sit on the shelf where the lid attaches?

Hi Mike,
The post sits on the locker shelf, I use 20 gage brass pins to hold the posts in place.
Mike

Hi Mike 4, can you tell me how or post the link to the revised PART 4 change please THANKS Don PS MATERIALS WILL BE COMMING IN THIS WEEK SO I CAN START THE BUILD WITH QUESTIONS FROM THOSE ALREADY DOING THE BUILD. THANKS Don Farr

Hi Don,

This is the link to Part 4

http://www.shipsofscale.com/blandford/part4/cross-section.html

I am leaving today to spend a week in Albuquerque over the holidays, I will be following the project and be available for questions. Part 4 will be a little more interesting and a lot of fun.

Mike

Hi Mike,
I'm a bit confused. On the plan sheet for the parts involved in the lower deck framing you show 4 parts in the hanging knees labeled TDHK 1,2,4 & 5. Then 2 more labeled LDHK 3 and 6. On the index sheet it appears that there are hanging knees on both the top deck and lower deck. Are all of those hanging knees on this plan sheet for the lower deck and just mislabeled? Am I right in assuming that all those hanging knees are to be attached to the parts labeled LDHK in the section marked Lower knees?

Hi Mike,
You are correct the hanging knees labeled TDHK Should be labeled LDHK on the pattern sheet, the plan sheet is labeled correctly. I will revise the drawing, it should not affect your work for now.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back