Prototype HMS Blandford Cross Section Prototype by Mike 41 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Lawrence,
Don’t worry about the build log Donny has lot of space on the server. I live in a medium size house, but my wife still complains that my models are too large. If there is anything you need help with let me know.
Mike

Hi Lawrence,
Don’t worry about the build log Donny has lot of space on the server. I live in a medium size house, but my wife still complains that my models are too large. If there is anything you need help with let me know.
Mike
Hello Mike

I thank you very much for your very nice reply. It sure is nice to know that I have an expert willing to help should I get my self into trouble and I surely will with the Oliver Cromwell build, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Hi Mike41, Hope I am listing this in the right place, I am having a big problem with my frames especially FRAME No 5 and No.6, will have tore-do frame No. 5 completly, frame No. 6 I have a couple of problems hope I do not need to re-make that one too, will show what is hapening with pictures in my Blanford one side of the lower deck beam is way out, it lines up perfectly on the plans but when i put it in the jig for dry fitting one side sits right on byt the other is way, way off do not know what happened other problems also will show them latter today, time to make corections at this point, any help will be greatly appreciated. THANKS Don

Hi Don,
You probably should have made this post under the Main Support Page or your build log. I will respond under your build log.
Mike

Hi Mike, looking through your post and photo's, I noticed that your photo's 6440 - 6442 you are placing your planks a an angle albeit slight. According the the book the planks that, exterior, run parallel to the planksheer down to the wales. Is this just your personal preference? or are you working from a book different to the Anatomy of Ships?

Hi Eric,
You are correct the planking is shown parallel to the Planksheer, I was thinking that for a first-time builder it would be easier to run the planking parallel to the keel. I probably should have followed the book closer, but I was trying to keep the build as simple as possible.

I am currently working on a cross section of the Ontario that Zoltan is building, it will be a lot more detailed following the original draft for more experienced builders than this build.

Mike

Hey Mike! Is Zoly collaborating? I can't wait to see this one. Since you've decided to let the cat out of the bag, here come the questions!

What scale?
What is your source for plans?
Will plans be available for a group build a la Blandford?
What's your timetable?

Hi Dave,
Yes, Zoly is a collaborator, he is gradually sinking into the ooze of the dark side lol.
Cross Section: Length = 1’-4”
Height = 11”
Width = 10”
The source for the plans is the Admiralty Draught of 1780 and the drawings by John McKay in the book ’Legend of the Lake The 22-gun Brig-Sloop Ontario 1780’ by Arthur Smith
The plans will be available for a group build after the proto-type is completed and all corrections and or modifications are reflected on the drawings
There are currently 11 plan & elevation drawings on 22x17 sheets and 19 frame drawings on 11x17 sheets, additional detail drawings will be created as the proto-type is developed.
I plan on starting the proto-type in with a build log in four to six weeks, I am working on several other projects, so progress will be slow and random (like my thoughts lol) but she will be an interesting project.
Mike

Hi Dave,
Yes, Zoly is a collaborator, he is gradually sinking into the ooze of the dark side lol.
Height = 11”
Width = 10”
The source for the plans is the Admiralty Draught of 1780 and the drawings by John McKay in the book ’Legend of the Lake The 22-gun Brig-Sloop Ontario 1780’ by Arthur Smith
The plans will be available for a group build after the proto-type is completed and all corrections and or modifications are reflected on the drawings
There are currently 11 plan & elevation drawings on 22x17 sheets and 19 frame drawings on 11x17 sheets, additional detail drawings will be created as the proto-type is developed.
I plan on starting the proto-type in with a build log in four to six weeks, I am working on several other projects, so progress will be slow and random (like my thoughts lol) but she will be an interesting project.
Mike

I can’t wait to see her coming together.

Hi Dave,
Height = 11”
Width = 10”
Mike

Is it four to six weeks yet, Mike??

Hi Dave,
I have some sad news no. I seem to be involved in a lot of different projects, but I will start the proto-type as soon as the drawings are finished.
Mike

Hi Don,
The next cross section will be larger with about twice as many drawings, it will take mote than twice as long to build.
After you finish the Blandford you will have the required skills to build the new cross section.
How are you doing with the Blandford frames.
Mike

Have finshed AND GLUING IN PLACE, HAVE FRAMES No. Nos 1 and 2 donethe frames now in the jig doing some final sanding lining up the deck clamps, not to happy how they turned out, but most of the problems will be un seen as they are on the interior the strakes and footwalling will cove them, one problem tha I have had with my last couple of builds is the TYPE OF GLUE I HAVE BEEN USING it is TITE BOND TRANSLUCENT GLUE, it sets up quicker then any other that I have used drys clear, but I can not sand out the GLUE SEEPAGE AND IT LEAVES WHITE SPOTS WHEN I USE MIN-WAX NATURAL FINISH and there WOOD CONDITIONER, HAVE STARTED USING SOME 100 % acatone to reme the glue after sanding hope this works, right now just touchinup the FRAMES will be finishe some times toward the end of the week will show progress then, THANKS Don

Hi Don,
If you use a damp (not drippy wet) cloth with warm water on the newly glued parts after the clamps are removed it will remove most if not all of the excess glue. Rub vigorously but don't use too much water. Practice on some scrap wood and you will be able to see when the excess glue is removed.

Mike

Hello Mike
Just dropping in to see what a great job that you have done on your Blandford Cross-section. I kind of wish that I had built this program along with you and the other SOS Members. But I could not get my Admiral to show any interest in a cross section and I felt that that is a must.
I have just barely started my Oliver Cromwell 1:48 scale. Oh, I have made tons of sawdust, cut out and built the 40 framing segments for the center 20 framing ribs and today I cut out 4 of the center ribs on my scroll saw. I was astonished by just how wasteful on the wood that the Hahn method uses, well over 1/2 goes into the scrap box. But so far the system is working quite well. Your system of building the ribs sure uses a whole lot less wood and that is for sure.
So far I am enjoying this POF build very much and once one gett's into the nitty-gritty it really is not all that hard.
I have been using your build log as a reference to help sort things out and it sure is a great help, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Lawrence, If you check out the Lumberyard, Caustic the jig used by Dave is very good very little waste, some of the Chinese POF models use a somewhat similar jig, at my age 80 have a problem cutting out my own jigs I will not get any POF models that does not come with a jig, I had to stop my Genl. Washington build even after I cut all the frames because it did not have a jig. JUST MY 2 cents Don

Hi Lawrence,
Thank you for your kind words, a happy wife makes a happy life, I read that somewhere. I have used the Hahn method for building frames, but like you I felt like it wasted too much wood.
We started the Blandford project as an introduction to building POF models from scratch and the basic procedures can be applied to any model and I am glad you found it useful with the Oliver Cromwell.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back