sgtmik's HMS Blandford cross section build

Hi Mike, i see on one of your pictures, you have an X-Y TABLE, if you could could you show pictures of the set up the next time you use it, still trying to learn how to use mine, not mechanical. THANKS Don

Ahoy Shipmates,
Here is proof that my Alzheimer's is catching up with me. I was sure I had posted the progress I made with planking the main deck. I even moved those phoyos to a separate folder. Before I am made to walk the plank Here is my effort to catch up.

Once all the carlings and ledges were in I pressed on with deck planking. Captain Mike41 had said he used a 3 and 1 pattern. I looked that up in Zu Mondfeld's Historic Ship Models, As best as I can figure I followed Mike's lead and copied what he had shown for 2 deck guns plan.
IMG_0025.jpg

One problem I ran into was two fold. I was not sure how I was going to plumb the mast hole in the Main deck with the one in the lower deck. My carpentry was not quite as lined up as I would have like so I elected no to put the heavy wood bracing for the mast. I FAKED IT I slipped planks right up to the edge of the mast and cut off the excess.

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0172.JPG

Fortunatly The mast foot that I made was big enough to cover the big ugly hole.

IMG_0034.jpg

The mast foot was made from a dowel.

IMG_0186.jpg

Next I cut the gun ports out and used walnut to line the ports.

IMG_0184.JPG

I'm Not Done yet.
I must have not taken enough photos of the rail build.
Here again I built the rails a rail at a time and used brass pins to line up and support the small pieces. IMG_0194.JPG

I don't have anymore photos of the rail build so I will just say it finished and I will move on to the carriage and cannon build.

I cut the carriage from blood wood the quoin is yellow hart and the cannon is ebony.

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0216.JPG

IMG_0217.JPG

I'm not happy with the wheels and I will make new ones for next time. The holes in the wheels are not centered because the dowel was out of round. I also bought a tailstock drill chuck that will take care of that.
I next turned the cannon from a piece of ebony.

IMG_0222.JPG

IMG_0244.JPG

IMG_0252.JPG

I stained all of the main deck walnut to dark walnut.

My next cannon is not the same as the first one and I just cracked a new one I mnade I've run out of ebony blanks.

IMG_0255.JPG

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Thanks for visiting my build log.

Hallo Mike,
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Enjoy your special day
Birthday-Cake

Back