Milling

• Thread starter Aussie048
  • Start date
  • Watchers 4
A

Aussie048

I have a Proxxon mf70 Micro Mill

I want mill a jig with 3 lengths of 100 mm long 3 mm deep and 3 mm wide

How deep in a cut should I go at one time to get down to 3mm. I have three cuts to make 3mm wide. Am I better off doing it with say a 2mm end cutter and then trimming them all out to 3mm when I have reached my depth I want.

Are there any books etc. worth while reading on milling that will be beneficial to small mills and particularity on modeling or miniature milling

Hi Aussie048, I would use a 3mm end mill bit and take it down 1mm at a time. Depending on the width of the piece you are milling you could perhaps take it down in two stages at 1.5mm.
BTW is it wood or metal (aluminium)?

On my CNC milling wood at 3mm depth, router turning at 12000 rpm, forward feed speed of 1mm/sec the three flute bit will start smoking after 15 - 20mm, obviously different setup to yours.
Regards
Eric

Eric

Thanks for the response

It is pine as it is only a jig. It was put to me that pine has a resin in it, so it probably would not be the best material. I could change it to MDF

I will probably go with a 2 mm cutter getting 3 lines of the jig down about 1.5 to 2 mm on the first cut. Then take it down to total depth of 3 mm. After that trim out the slots to 3 mm at 0.5 on each side

Cheers
Geoff

Eric

The jig is a one off for a frame around gratings. The idea is just to use it for checking in some walnut for the cross frames which will also need checking in. I will check out Bunnings tomorrow

Thanks for the advice

Cheers
Geoff

I have never been a machinist so
I have started very low tech. I bought an X,Y table and mounted it to my Dremel work station. I used it to cut my mast trees for Bounty. They came out much cleaner this time. I bought a cheep mini lathe, waiting for it to arrive.
:music-rockout: :handgestures-salute:

Mike

The slower the better with milling. It comes out cleaner.

The jig I made to check out the walnut for the grating frames, went down 3mm at 0.3mm a trip around the block, so 10 times plus a clean run at the end where I did not adjust the CNC mill at all. It took 2.5 hours to make.

Cheers
Geoff

Hi Geoff.
Thanks for the info.
You and Eric are my heros. :text-thankyouyellow:
to bad you live so far away.

Mike

YouTube is a good source for info.

I watched one this morning well yesterday morning now on centering the cutter on a lathe. For starters he used a ruler and got it to stand straight up between the cutter and the material. He then went on and made a post to do the job.

Cheers
Geoff

Ahoy all you Milling Mates,
I am very excited today I will receive my new Proxxon mill. I feel like a kid on Christmas :banana-dance: :banana-rock: :handgestures-thumbup:

I have a Dremel scroll saw that I used to cut parts when I built Endeavor. I don't think it gives as clean a cut though.

I have a GMC scroll saw and their Bandsaw, I managed to pick them up for $50 each when GMC went into liquidation, that was awhile ago now, but if I could only have one it would be the scroll saw, I use the band saw now and then for cutting bow blocks etc, hope this helps,

best regards John.

Ahoy al you Mill Wrights,
I got my MF 70 yesterday from Amazon. I works as advertised. I am busy with this morning Making a top fro the mizzen mainmast on my Bounty.
Is there any lubrication to be used on the X,Y table, also is it necessary to bolt your mill down to use it? :?:

Mike

It is probably a good idea to bolt it down. As I am very limited to space I bought some T nuts or Tee Nuts which are redily available on eBay and probably Amazon.

I can mount it or remove it from my work bench in no time flat and the nuts stay underneath the bench all the time

As for Lube, I don't know whether you should or not. The slide being nylon you could gum the slide up is my way of thinking. I just give mine a good clean with a brush and vacuum.

Cheers
Geoffs-l500.jpg

Thanks Geoff, I bought a mini table saw from Micro Mark and that needs to be secured as well. I'm using my Dremel for a drill press so I'm going to have a bench full.

Mike

I bought a Micro Chuck to fit in a 1/8 Colette, so I can drill with the mill. it is #82540 I am not finding it on google

Proxxon do not make a chuck for the mill.

The Dremel Press is a bit sloppy.

Hi Geoff,
My mill came with a Dremel like collet chuck and four different size collets. Amazon sells a Proxxon #28941 MICROMOT three jaw keyless chuck for
$11.39, I think I will get one.

Hi Geoff,
My mill came with a Dremel like collet chuck and four different size collets. Amazon sells a Proxxon #28941 MICROMOT three jaw keyless chuck for
$11.39, I think I will get one.

Back