MINI-CHOP SAWS

Hi all need to get a mini-chop saw, looking at HARBOR FREIGHT they have 2 types a 2inch that will take up to 1/2 inch material, and a 6 inch that will take up to 1 inch material QUESTION IS THIS IS THE 6 INCH FOR WOOD OR ONLY METAL. THANKS ALL Don

The type of material cut in the saw (wood versus metal) is based on the blade type not the saw itself per se. Why are you looking to get a chop saw? I have never used a chop saw in all my years of model building. I would suggest a Byrnes Table Saw for all your cutting needs. :)

hi MI I promise to get a byrnes product but right now see no need for a table saw but other stuff yeah, soon i hope by farthers day remodeling my hobby room to give me more room need to fit a small vac for some tools to much dust even withe a wen infiltration system, the reason for a chop saw small is for my LE ROCHEFORT, it has many cuts on the fore and aft frames that have frames that need EXACT CUTS the item will not fit my hand miter boxes, have not decided yet both are reasonable in pric opt for the 6 inch one because of depth of cut small enough to put in a good place, hopefully remodeling will come soon, I LOVE IT MIKE KEEP IT GOING AND ASK JIM FCOR A DISCOUNT ON YOU NEXT TOOL LOL. Don

You should post a link to the saw your talking about. If the 6 inch saw your talking about is this

It would be absolutely worthless for what you're trying to do. It's way to crude. It's fine for hacking a 3/8" steel angle iron but won't come near reaching tolerances for model building.

Hi AM SORRY ABOUT THE LINK, AS MOST PEOPLE KNOW I AM A COMPUTER ILLETERATE, BUT YES THAT WAS THE ONE NOW IT IS NOT THE ONE, THANKS WHAT ABOUT THE 2 inch ONE OR DO YOU HAVE OTHERS THAT YOU RECOMEND, FOR WHAT I NEED IT FOR. THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT. Don

I am sure that there is a purpose for using this type of saw. Altough I am quite certain that it will not be more precise than an old fashion hand saw and disc sander.
Just my 2 cents... too many modelers get hang-up in discussing, owning and discussing some more the value of owing such tools.
How precise can the angle dial/set really be?
G.

Last edited:
HI GILLES AND MIKE, I AM GOING TO POST A PICTURE IN THE Le ROCHFORTE LOG, FRAME No. 25 through 32 and SOME FRAMES IN THE BOW SECTION ALSO MY PLAN TO DO THESE TYPE OF FRAMES IS TO MILL THE NOTCHES as a a one piece section for where they go once i have the notches milled where thbelong i want to cut the vertical ito the 2 pieces as shown on the FRAME PLAN I KNOW THERE ARE OTHER WAYS TO DO THIS BUT FOR ME AND SKILLS AT THIS TIME (AGE) I FIND THIS ABOUT THE BEST WAY TO DO THIS, AND LOOKING AT THE MINI-CHOP SAW NOT GOING TO WORK AT ALL, RIGHT NOW THINKING ABOUT USING MY BAND SAW WITCH HAS A FINE TPI BLADE AND USING SOME CLAMPS AS HOLD DOWNS OR SOMETHING SIMULAR TO THEN MAKE THE VERTICAL CUTS AS NEEDE THE OTHER PICES OF THE V FRAMES DO NOT PRSET A PROBLEM AS I DO NOT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THE NOTCES AS I CAN OVER CUT THE VERTICALS AND FINISH THEM ON THE DISK SANDER, ANY OTHER IDEAS WOULD BE A BIG, BIG, HELP I will post frame No.25 with this message and then re post in the log. THANKS ALL don20200318_211905.jpg

HI GILLES AND MIKE, I AM GOING TO POST A PICTURE IN THE Le ROCHFORTE LOG, FRAME No. 25 through 32 and SOME FRAMES IN THE BOW SECTION ALSO MY PLAN TO DO THESE TYPE OF FRAMES IS TO MILL THE NOTCHES as a a one piece section for where they go once i have the notches milled where thbelong i want to cut the vertical ito the 2 pieces as shown on the FRAME PLAN I KNOW THERE ARE OTHER WAYS TO DO THIS BUT FOR ME AND SKILLS AT THIS TIME (AGE) I FIND THIS ABOUT THE BEST WAY TO DO THIS, AND LOOKING AT THE MINI-CHOP SAW NOT GOING TO WORK AT ALL, RIGHT NOW THINKING ABOUT USING MY BAND SAW WITCH HAS A FINE TPI BLADE AND USING SOME CLAMPS AS HOLD DOWNS OR SOMETHING SIMULAR TO THEN MAKE THE VERTICAL CUTS AS NEEDE THE OTHER PICES OF THE V FRAMES DO NOT PRSET A PROBLEM AS I DO NOT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THE NOTCES AS I CAN OVER CUT THE VERTICALS AND FINISH THEM ON THE DISK SANDER, ANY OTHER IDEAS WOULD BE A BIG, BIG, HELP I will post frame No.25 with this message and then re post in the log. THANKS ALL don

Hi Don,
In this case, You really can make the cut with any saw. it does not even have to be perfectly straight as the 2 parts will fit perfectly as long as you do not do anything to any of the surfaces to be glued: if you see what i mean.
G.

Hi all need to get a mini-chop saw, looking at HARBOR FREIGHT they have 2 types a 2inch that will take up to 1/2 inch material, and a 6 inch that will take up to 1 inch material QUESTION IS THIS IS THE 6 INCH FOR WOOD OR ONLY METAL. THANKS ALL Don
I have used a 2'' Harbor freight chop saw for many years. It is inaccurate but very useful when you have to cut metal tubing or strip and don't want to dull the blade of a better saw. The trick is to replace the toothed saw blade with an abrasive disc. Don't know what the current price is, but mine was $25 and I have certainly gotten my money's worth.

I have also used the two inch Harbor Freight chop saw (or cut off saw) for many years. I have found it very useful for quickly cutting strips or dowels to length. All my masts over many models have been "chopped" to length with this saw! :)

I find this saw useful and durable however my mini table saw does most of my ship model cutting. To use this saw for repetitive cuts like deck planking you need to make a jig out of wood with a stop for length and support.

Don,
I have a Proxxon, mini-chopsaw that I got from Micro Mark about 10 years ago. I bought it for use at work then kept it for use at home. It has since sat around with very little use. The saw blade has 27 teeth and cuts quite smoothly. There is a finer-toothed blade available but I don't have one., I do have 4 abrasive cut-off wheels (2 for ferrous material and two for non-ferrous) and two diamond cut-off discs. Attached are some photos of the saw. If you care to have it, pm me and I can arrange to ship it.

IMG_20200321_114231.jpgIMG_20200321_114300.jpgIMG_20200321_114633.jpg

OH YES INDDED I WOULD IWOULD ALSO COMPENSATE YOU IN ANY WAY, I WILL PM YOU NOW, AND GIVE YOU DETAILS AND EMAIL ADDRESS> THANKS SO MUCH SO MANY WODERFUL MEMBERS HERE THE WORLD SHOULD TAK NOTICE OF THIS FORUM AND HOW PEOPLE INTERACT. DOM

Back